How can I calculate the reaction forces of a torsion spring on a wall?

In summary, In order to calculate the reaction forces exerted by the spring on the walls, you need to determine the torque and the contact points of the spring and wall.
coldadler
Hi guys,
I am working on design where I am using a torsion spring. And I need make an analysis and see the deflection of the walls. How can I calculate the forces that applied from Spring's legs to walls.

Thank you all in advance.

Attachments

• 1582995414997.png
    1582995414997.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 927
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I expect the spring leg will become slightly curved, and that the wall will be dented slightly.
You will probably need to better define the contact points of the spring and legs with the wall.

What do you mean by deflection of the walls?
Do you know the RPD (rate per degree) of this spring?

Likes coldadler
We need to see a side view of the assembly to understand how and where the two walls are supported along their lengths.

Likes coldadler and Lnewqban
Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.

I expect the spring leg will become slightly curved, and that the wall will be dented slightly.
You will probably need to better define the contact points of the spring and legs with the wall.

First of all Thank You.
You're right, contact points will be different than that. But I need to make a calculation on this conditions.

Lnewqban said:
What do you mean by deflection of the walls?
Do you know the RPD (rate per degree) of this spring?
I'm making CAE Analysis at Catia and I want to see the wall deformation which happens at set and full stroke positions of springs (under load). To make this analysis I need the enter the force values. But I'm not sure how to calculate it.
I have the values of springs, I know the Torque values under this positions but how can i find the leg's reaction forces?

One of my colleague said we need to take the torque value as a spring reaction force and we need the apply this force to walls. ?

JBA said:
We need to see a side view of the assembly to understand how and where the two walls are supported along their lengths.
I attached one more pic. I hope I could show it clearly.

Attachments

• 1583044570416.png
    1583044570416.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 237
You do show a local point contact for F2 on the green.

F1 will not be spread over the length of the leg as you show.
You need to provide a local point of contact for F1 on the yellow.
If necessary provide a bump of yellow to contact the end of the leg.

You must also consider which (three?) points of contacts hold the coil of the spring in place.
That may be F3 where the coil touches yellow material.

Baluncore said:
You do show a local point contact for F2 on the green.

F1 will not be spread over the length of the leg as you show.
You need to provide a local point of contact for F1 on the yellow.
If necessary provide a bump of yellow to contact the end of the leg.

You must also consider which (three?) points of contacts hold the coil of the spring in place.
That may be F3 where the coil touches yellow material.

But when I make analysis I only give forces at contact points to see the deflection. I clamp the green part and I specify the rotation axis of yellow part and forces that applying on the part and it's show me the results. I don't even put spring into analysis, I only give forces. But in this case I don't know the forces. How can I calculate the spring leg's reaction forces that applied to walls under the load? Dividing the spring torque into leg length will give me the true result? And you are right, at coil contact point there will be F3 force.

The helical spring generates a torque. The force F1, applied by the spring leg to the yellow wall will depend on the distance from the spring axis, or maybe coil contact point.

The force applied to the yellow wall by that leg will become a torque about the centre of rotation of the yellow wall.

Unfortunately the spring and wall do not share a common axis of rotation, and the contact line is not truly radial about either centre. Therein lies the complexity.

If you reduce the spring leg to contact the yellow wall at only one point on the wall, then the problem becomes tractable.

Likes hutchphd
coldadler said:
I'm making CAE Analysis at Catia and I want to see the wall deformation which happens at set and full stroke positions of springs (under load). To make this analysis I need the enter the force values. But I'm not sure how to calculate it.
I have the values of springs, I know the Torque values under this positions but how can i find the leg's reaction forces?
My humble suggestion:
Application of ##F_2## seems to be the weakest link, according to your last schematic.
If you have the value of torque for the spring at maximum deformation (200-75 degrees), then:

##F_2=Max~torque/L##

The wire will slide respect to the points of contact of ##F_1## and ##F_2## as the mechanism moves, reason for which those surfaces will need some form of lubrication.
The other important thing is to loosely restrict movement of the coil, which will tend to rotate and relocate itself when supported by ##F_1## and ##F_2## only.
The diameter of the coil will decrease some when compressed.

Please, see:
https://www.thespringstore.com/coil-torsion-spring-calculator.html

http://www.faculty.fairfield.edu/wdornfeld/ME311/AssocSpringBarnes-SpringDesignHandbook.pdf#page106

1. What is a torsion spring reaction force?

A torsion spring reaction force is the force exerted by a torsion spring when it is twisted or rotated. It is the force that opposes the twisting motion and causes the spring to return to its original position.

2. How does a torsion spring reaction force work?

When a torsion spring is twisted, the coils of the spring are compressed or stretched. This causes the spring to store potential energy, which is released when the twisting force is removed, causing the spring to return to its original shape and exert a reaction force.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of a torsion spring reaction force?

The magnitude of a torsion spring reaction force is affected by the material and size of the spring, the amount of twist applied, and the distance between the two ends of the spring. The tighter the coils and the greater the twist, the stronger the reaction force will be.

4. How is a torsion spring reaction force calculated?

The formula for calculating the torsion spring reaction force is F = kθ, where F is the reaction force, k is the spring constant (dependent on the material and size of the spring), and θ is the angle of twist in radians. This formula assumes a linear relationship between the force and the angle of twist.

5. What are some common applications of torsion spring reaction forces?

Torsion spring reaction forces are commonly used in a variety of mechanical devices, such as door hinges, mousetraps, and clock springs. They are also used in more specialized applications, such as in torsion pendulum clocks and in the suspension systems of vehicles.