Torsion Test Simulation: Understanding Von Mises Criteria and Its Approximations

In summary, the speaker is discussing their simulations of torsion tests and comparing them to tension and compression tests. They have found a variation of 6-8% when using the Von Mises criteria for equivalent tensile stress and strain. They have researched and found that this criteria may be inaccurate, with a possible 6.5% difference from the Bishop-Hill formulation. The speaker is seeking confirmation and assistance on this issue.
svishal03
Hi all,

I am simulating torsion tests (after being successful with tension and compression tests). For tension and compression, I got a good comparsion with experimental and behaviour in tension is same as in compression (of course leaving the necking part).

For torsion tests, I have taken equivalent tensile stress = shear stress*sqrt(3) and equivalent tensile strain as = shear strain / sqrt (3).

This is based on Von Mises criteria.

But I have a problem, doing this I find that there is a variation of about 6-8 % from the uniaxial tension test and compression test . IS there some approxiamtion in Von Mises criteria of equivalent tensile stress and strain?

I tried to google and more and this what I found:

http://books.google.co.in/books?id=...orsion test equivalent tensile strain&f=false

From this ; am I correct below (you can read the abstractabove as well):

“Torsion equivalent stresses obtained using Von Misesrelationship (as I have done) are 6.5% lower than those obtained using BishopHill formulation which is more accurate”

So, can we say that torsion equivalent stresses will bearound 6.5% less than that obtained using uniaxial tension ?

Warm regards,

Vishal

Engineering news on Phys.org
Please can anyone help?

1. What is a torsion test simulation?

A torsion test simulation is a computer-generated model that replicates the physical testing of a material's ability to withstand torsional stress.

2. What is the purpose of a torsion test simulation?

The purpose of a torsion test simulation is to predict the behavior of a material under torsional stress, without having to physically test it. This allows for cost and time savings in the development of new materials or products.

3. How is a torsion test simulation performed?

A torsion test simulation is performed using specialized software that takes into account the material properties, geometry, and loading conditions of the object being tested. The software uses mathematical models and algorithms to simulate the torsional stress and deformation of the material.

4. What are the benefits of using a torsion test simulation?

There are several benefits of using a torsion test simulation, including cost and time savings, the ability to test a wider range of materials and geometries, and the ability to predict failure points and optimize designs before physical testing.

5. What are the limitations of torsion test simulations?

While torsion test simulations can provide valuable insights, there are some limitations to consider. The accuracy of the simulation depends on the accuracy of the material properties and loading conditions inputted into the software. Additionally, the simulation may not take into account factors such as temperature and environmental conditions, which can affect the material's behavior in real-world situations.