Understanding Gear Ratios and Torque in Torsional Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a past paper about finding the effective inertia at point C by using the number of teeth from each gear and a ratio. The speaker is also struggling with understanding the notation and asks for clarification. They also mention their exam is tomorrow and appreciate any help.
Alistair McCheyne
upload_2016-5-8_16-20-42.png

Hi, this is a question from a previous past paper that I am having trouble with. Am I meant to just use the number of teeth from each gear to find a ratio and use this to find the effective inertia at point C. Then use this to find a torque and take away the torque of the constant load.
My exam is tomorrow so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my working
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/13162482_10156888512910486_1882077086_n.jpg?oh=08e752c6546ce7cb6b8917d83a1d6d77&oe=57313006

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation is confusing... Ib=Ib+Ia(r^2)?!
More importantly, you are thinking about the ratios wrongly. As gear B turns once, how often does gear A turn?

1. What is torsional problem with gears?

Torsional problem with gears is a mechanical issue that occurs when the torque applied to a gear causes it to twist or deform, leading to malfunction or failure of the gear system.

2. What causes torsional problem with gears?

Torsional problems with gears can be caused by a variety of factors, including excessive torque, poor gear design or quality, misalignment, or inadequate lubrication.

3. How can torsional problem with gears be prevented?

To prevent torsional problems with gears, it is important to use high-quality gears that are designed to handle the expected torque, properly align the gears, and ensure sufficient lubrication is applied. Regular maintenance and monitoring of gear systems can also help prevent torsional problems.

4. What are the consequences of torsional problem with gears?

Torsional problems with gears can lead to gear failure, which can cause equipment downtime, production delays, and costly repairs. In extreme cases, it can also pose a safety risk to workers.

5. How is torsional problem with gears diagnosed?

Torsional problems with gears can be diagnosed through visual inspection, measurement of gear teeth and shafts, and analysis of vibration levels. Specialized equipment and techniques, such as strain gauges and frequency analysis, may also be used to diagnose torsional problems.