What is the concept of a torus's center of mass and how can it be calculated?

In summary, the question involves finding the surface area of a torus divided by the wall of a cylinder. The solution requires understanding the circular cross-section of the torus and how it is divided by the cylinder. After some confusion, the person was able to understand and solve the problem.
unscientific

Homework Statement

The question is attached in the picture. I did part (a) without much problems.. But I have no clue what part (b) is about at all! Even the solutions don't make much sense to me.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to work out how the diagram would look like, illustrated in the second attachment. But still, I am lost...

Attachments

• torus2.jpg
    torus2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 536
  • torus1.jpg
    torus1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 649
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at a circular cross-section of the torus; since the cylinder is radius [itex]c[/itex], the same as the distance of the centre of the circular cross-section from the axis of the cylinder, the wall of the cylinder will divide the circular cross-section of the torus right down the middle. The surface area of the torus on either side of the divider will not be equal though, because one half is closer to the axis than the other half (Think of rotating a point around the axis, it scribes a cricle of circumference [itex]2\pi r[/itex] where [itex]r[/itex] is the distance from the axis)

gabbagabbahey said:
Look at a circular cross-section of the torus; since the cylinder is radius [itex]c[/itex], the same as the distance of the centre of the circular cross-section from the axis of the cylinder, the wall of the cylinder will divide the circular cross-section of the torus right down the middle. The surface area of the torus on either side of the divider will not be equal though, because one half is closer to the axis than the other half (Think of rotating a point around the axis, it scribes a cricle of circumference [itex]2\pi r[/itex] where [itex]r[/itex] is the distance from the axis)

I see! I've worked it out finally. Thanks! I wasn't sure what they meant by "cross section of radius a centred on a circle of radius c "..

Thanks for clearing it up!

1. What is a Torus Centre of Mass?

A Torus Centre of Mass is a theoretical point within a torus (doughnut-shaped) object that represents the average position of the mass of the object. It is the point at which the object can be balanced perfectly, without any rotation or movement, if suspended from that point.

2. How is the Torus Centre of Mass calculated?

The Torus Centre of Mass is calculated using mathematical formulas that take into account the dimensions and mass distribution of the torus. It is typically found by dividing the torus into smaller, simpler shapes and using integration to determine the average position of their masses.

3. Why is the Torus Centre of Mass important?

The Torus Centre of Mass is important in understanding the stability and dynamics of a torus-shaped object. It is also used in engineering and physics to calculate the object's rotational inertia, which is crucial in predicting its behavior and movement.

4. Can the Torus Centre of Mass be outside of the object?

No, the Torus Centre of Mass will always be located within the boundaries of the torus-shaped object. This is because the calculation takes into account the mass distribution within the object and cannot result in a point outside of it.

5. How does changing the size and shape of the torus affect its Centre of Mass?

Changing the size and shape of the torus can significantly affect its Centre of Mass. As the dimensions and mass distribution of the object change, the position of the Centre of Mass will also shift. This can have implications for the stability and movement of the object.