Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torus material

1. Apr 19, 2015 #1
    Hello,

Do you know any online source where I can purchase a plastic or glass torus which can be machined easily? The requirements are low conductivity and high temperature resistance. (I know it is unlikely for plastics, but worth asking)

Thank you.

edit: Forgot to tell dimensions:

R = 15 cm
    r = 8 cm
    Thickness = -

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Apr 24, 2015 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Are you in the US? You might try contacting Tap Plastics to see if they have any ideas: http://www.tapplastics.com/

Beyond that, you could look into casting the torus yourself maybe...?

5. Apr 24, 2015 #4
    Try... this material... "Macor machinable ceramics", link to:www.ceramicproductsinc.com

6. Apr 24, 2015 #5
    This stuff cuts like a dream in the lath.. you can make anything with it...be sure your tools are very sharp... diamond tipped if possible, cut slow and you'll be able to make
    device with no problems. -e

7. Apr 24, 2015 #6
    Thank you! I am not in the US but I will contact them and see if they can ship me.

8. Apr 25, 2015 #7
    Like your picture of Tesla... one of my favorite people in history. BTW, I am working on one of Nikola Tesla's concepts...a new method of generating electricity using solid state principles. If you're familiar with his patents maybe we could chat some more. Regards, -e

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook