1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total angular momentum OP

1. Oct 17, 2012 #1
    HI,i am aiming to show that 1/(2)^1/2(|spin up>|spin down> + |spin down>|spin up>) is an eigenvalue to the total angular momentum operator in a two-electron system.

I know that i should end up with getting the eigenvalues of the separate spins; L1|spin up> and
    L2|spin down> and so on..also i have been suggested to use L+ and L- operators...anyone who can help how to start with the solution? thx a lot!

Do they mean the total angular momentum to be J=L+s OR L1 + L2??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2012 #2
    I think the operator in question would be
    [tex]S^2 = ({\bf S_1} + {\bf S_2})^2.[/tex]
    Try operating on your state with that. You'll need to express the crossterm in terms of ladder operators.

4. Oct 18, 2012 #3
    Thanks. But wouldnt the total angular momentum operator be like, L or J? I mean, not the total spin operator?

kind regards

5. Oct 18, 2012 #4
    I think when they say "total" here, they're talking about the total spin angular momentum S1 + S2. Not the spin angular momentum plus the orbital angular momentum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook