1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total angular momentum Q

1. Dec 21, 2005 #1
    hey everyone, I've been working through a past paper and I'm stuck on a question:

"(a) Consider a system consisting of n distinct particles P1, P2, : : :, Pn, with masses m1, m2, ...., mn and position vectors r1, r2, : : :, rn, relative to the origin O of an inertial frame, respectively.

For each i = 1, 2, : : :, n, suppose that the only forces acting on Pi are internal forces Fij , which always act along the line joining Pi and Pj , for j = 1, 2, : : :, n and j doesn't equal i.

Assume that Fij = ¡Fji for i = 1, 2, : : :, n, j = 1, 2, : : :, n and i doesn't equal j.

Define what is meant by the total angular momentum of the system about O.

Show, as a consequence of Newton's second law, that the total angular momentum of the system about O is constant."

I can define the total angular momentum of the system, it's the 2nd part of the Q I have trouble with. :confused:

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use the defintion of angular momentum:

[tex]\vec L = \vec r \times \vec p[/tex]

Take the time derivative and sum over all particles noting that

[tex]\frac {d \vec p}{dt} = \vec F[/tex]

You will find [itex]d\vec L /dt = 0[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?