What are the total angular momentum states for l = 3, s = ½?

For (b) the minimum angle is given by the formula: arccos(m)/√l(l+1) where m is the magnetic quantum number. For (c) and (d) it's a bit more complicated. For (c) you need to use the Zeeman effect formula: ΔU = ΔmμB where Δm is the change in magnetic quantum number, μ is the magnetic moment of the electron, and B is the magnetic field strength. For (d) you need to use the formula for the energy splitting of a level due to spin-orbit coupling: ΔE = A/2l(l+1) where A is the spin-orbit coupling constant. In summary, the different total angular
acusanelli

Homework Statement

a) Identify the different total angular momentum states possible for the case l = 3, s = ½.

b) What is the minimum angle the angular momentum vector may make with the z-axis in the case of i) l = 3 and ii) l = 1?

c) A hydrogen atom in its ground state is subjected to an external magnetic field of 1.0 T. Find the difference in energy between the spin-up and spin-down states.

d) A hydrogen atom is subjected to a magnetic field B strong enough to completely overwhelm the spin-orbit coupling. Into how many levels would the 2p level split? What would be the spacing between these levels?

The Attempt at a Solution

dont know how to set up this problem but i know the answer to c is ΔU = 1.16 X 10-4 eV. Please help me set up this problem so that I can solve it

Physics news on Phys.org
Well for (a) there is a method for adding angular momentum. I suggest you skim your book and notes for this. We can't really just give you the answer. Look for keywords like "addition of angular momentum".

1. What is total angular momentum?

Total angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object or system. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the rotational motion.

2. How is total angular momentum calculated?

Total angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, by its angular velocity, which is the rate at which it rotates. This can be represented by the equation L = Iω, where L is the total angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What are the units for total angular momentum?

The SI unit for total angular momentum is kilogram meters squared per second (kg⋅m²/s), but it can also be expressed in other units such as joule seconds (J⋅s) or newton meters per second (N⋅m/s).

4. How does total angular momentum relate to conservation of angular momentum?

Total angular momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that it remains constant over time. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum. As long as there are no external torques acting on the system, the total angular momentum will remain constant.

5. Can total angular momentum be negative?

Yes, total angular momentum can be negative. This usually occurs when the direction of the angular velocity is opposite to the direction of the moment of inertia. In this case, the total angular momentum will have a negative sign to indicate its direction.