1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total angular momentum

1. Aug 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a) Identify the different total angular momentum states possible for the case l = 3, s = ½.

b) What is the minimum angle the angular momentum vector may make with the z-axis in the case of i) l = 3 and ii) l = 1?

c) A hydrogen atom in its ground state is subjected to an external magnetic field of 1.0 T. Find the difference in energy between the spin-up and spin-down states.

d) A hydrogen atom is subjected to a magnetic field B strong enough to completely overwhelm the spin-orbit coupling. Into how many levels would the 2p level split? What would be the spacing between these levels?

3. The attempt at a solution

dont know how to set up this problem but i know the answer to c is ΔU = 1.16 X 10-4 eV. Please help me set up this problem so that I can solve it

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2010 #2
    Well for (a) there is a method for adding angular momentum. I suggest you skim your book and notes for this. We can't really just give you the answer. Look for keywords like "addition of angular momentum".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook