Total charge of e in a given volume of water

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the total charge on all the electrons in a given volume of water. The steps involve converting the volume to m^3, converting to grams, finding the number of moles of H2O, multiplying by 6.02*10^23 to get the amount of molecules of H2O, multiplying by 10 for the total number of electrons, and finally multiplying by the charge of an electron. The discrepancy in answers is due to a negative sign being overlooked in the charge of an electron.
Bailey
this is killing me.
the question ask for total charge ina given volume of water.

-first convert the volume to m^3 from cm^3 since i know the density of water at 4 degree cel (most dense) is 1000kg/m^3.

-then imultiply the m^3 by 1000kg/m^3. then convert it to grams.

- divide by 18 grams (mass of H2O). which will gives us # of moloe of H2O. then multiply by 6.02*10^23 to get the amount of molec of H2O.

-Multiply by 10 electron (since each H2O have 10 e total).

-then lastly multiply it by 1.6*10^-19 C (charge of an electron)

but still i keep gettign the wrong answer. anyone know why?

Physics news on Phys.org
are you asking the number of e or charge of total e? your reasoning is completely fine...gimme the origina question and the model answer... your homework might asking you a completely different thing...

here the original question:

What is the total charge on all the electrons in 21.10cm3 of water?

and your answer is...

i got 1128126.79 C

i got 1.29*10^6, what is your model answer

i don't ahve an answer...since its online HW which will give u a "correct" or "incorrect" statement. n both our answer is wrong.

my answer should be right... so do yours... check your arithematics ...

err.can u give me ur full answer? then i can check if its right.

basically i get from 21.10cm^3 to 21.1 grams

-21.1 g / 18 g = mol of h2O

-mol of h2o * 6.02x10^23 = molec of h2o

-molec of h2o * 10 = total e

-total muitliply by 1.6x10^-19 = 1129084.44 (is differ from my last answer caz i used 18 g this time instead of the very precise one)

sry.. i put 24.1 instead of 21.1 in my calculator... my calculation is exactly the same as you...try 1.13*10^6 or something alike... you calculation is absolutly fine...

nah.i got 3 try left :( can't waste it.

the system basically detect if more/less digit is require.

21.10 cm^3 is 21.10 g

21.10g * (1 mol / 18.01 g) = 1.172 mol

1.172 mol * (6.02 x 10^23 molecules / 1 mol) = 7.05 x 10^23 molecules.

There are indeed ten electrons per water molecule. So we have:

7.05 x 10^24 electrons

(7.05 x 10^24 electrons ) * (1.60 x 10^-19 C / 1 electron) = 1 128 457.524 C

= 1.13 X 10^6 C

That is closer to Bailey's answer

*EDIT* no...after Vincent's correction, we all got the same answer. Your system is wack.

*EDIT* 2: Actually, Bailey, notice that our answers don't match beyond 3 sig dig accuracy. Yet, that should be sufficient for a final answer! :grumpy: Part of the discrepancy is because you used 18 g/mol the second time, but even your first answer doesn't match mine. Did you carry all digits until that last step in the calculation? How many digits does the dreaded computer want in the answer anyway?

Last edited:
omg.i tried it ( 1.13 X 10^6 C ).

n its still wrong. 2 try left now...lol

edit: reply to edit post from above:

well.i know the system will tell me if i need more digit or if i used the wrong unit.

Last edited:
OMG!
the answer is -1.13E+06 C! damnit...b/c i use the constant at the text which doesn't state a negative sign...so....doh! lol lol lol...

U should have seen that from the beginning...Electrons have negative charge...

Daniel.

what can i say... i can be a complete idiot sometime...lol

btw...thx for the reply guys.

1. What is the total charge of e in a given volume of water?

The total charge of e in a given volume of water is determined by the number of electrons present in the water. Electrons have a negative charge, so the total charge will be negative.

2. How is the total charge of e in water measured?

The total charge of e in water can be measured using an instrument called an electrometer. This device can detect and measure the presence and magnitude of electric charge.

3. What factors can affect the total charge of e in water?

The total charge of e in water can be affected by various factors such as the number of dissolved ions, the pH level of the water, and the presence of other charged particles or molecules.

4. Why is the total charge of e in water important?

The total charge of e in water is important because it plays a crucial role in many chemical and biological processes. It also affects the overall properties and behavior of water as a solvent.

5. Can the total charge of e in water be altered?

Yes, the total charge of e in water can be altered by adding or removing charged particles or by changing the pH level of the water. It can also be influenced by external electric fields or radiation.