1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total Derivative

1. Oct 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If U⊆R^n is an open set with a ∈ U, and f: U->R^m and g: U->R^m are totally differentiable at a, prove that jf+kg is also totally differentiable at a and that (D(jf+kg))a = j(Df)a+k(Dg)a.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Let p(x) = jf(x)+kg(x)

Then [p(x+h)-p(x)]/h = [jf(x+h)+kg(x+h)-jf(x)-kg(x)]/h
    = j[f(x+h)-f(x)]/h + k[g(x+h)-g(x)]/h

Then I took the limit of that as h goes to 0. Since both terms exist and are 0, jf+kg is also differentiable.

Is this the right way to solve the problem? I'm not sure because of the term "totally" differentiable. Also how do I solve the second part of the problem (total derivative)?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What does this mean? Since f and g are from Rn to Rm, they are functions of n variables. In order to talk about "x+ h", you have to be thinking of x and h as vectors in Rn. But then division by h is division by a vector and that is not defined. You probably mean to divide by |h|.

But if you do divide by |h| you still to have to deal with the fact that h can go to 0 along many different paths.

4. Oct 25, 2009 #3
    So should I approach this problem completely differently?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook