Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total differential of general function mapping

1. Apr 13, 2012 #1
    I am looking for an explanation and derivation of a total differential of a 2nd order function, i.e. a function that maps one function to another.

To be more specific, lets say I have a function [itex]l:ℝ^n\to ℝ[/itex] that I use to define a 2nd order function [itex]L:(ℝ^k\to ℝ^n) \to (ℝ^k\to ℝ)[/itex] as [itex]L(f) := l\circ f[/itex] for every [itex]f:ℝ^k\to ℝ^n[/itex].

Given that I have sufficiently useful norms defined on a function space [itex]ℝ^i\to ℝ^j[/itex], I assume that the total differential, [itex]D(L,f)[/itex] is well defined and is, for each "point" [itex]f:ℝ^k\to ℝ^n[/itex] of the function space a linear function (map) with the same algebraic type as [itex]L[/itex], i.e. [itex]D(L,f):(ℝ^k\to ℝ^n) \to (ℝ^k\to ℝ)[/itex].

My hunch is that [itex]D(L,f)[/itex] can be expressed in terms of the total differentials of [itex]l[/itex] and [itex]f[/itex], if they are uniformly continuous, but I just cannot derive the solution.

Can someone confirm, that the total differential of [itex]L[/itex] is a well defined concept?
    What is the solution in terms of [itex]l[/itex] and [itex]f[/itex]?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted