Does the function have total differential in [0,0]?

In summary, the conversation discusses a function and its total differential in [0,0]. The partial derivatives of the function are not continuous in [0,0], but the total differential may still exist. A possible method to prove its existence is by using polar coordinates, which simplifies the problem. Another approach is to show that the limit of a certain term involving the total differential goes to zero as h approaches [0,0]. The conversation ends with a request for a hint on how to prove this limit.
twoflower
Hi,

I have this excercise to do:

Let's have function f defined as follows:

[tex]
f(x,y) = \frac{xy(x^2 - y^2)}{x^2 + y^2},\ \ [x,y] \neq [0,0]
[/tex]

[tex]
f(x,y) = 0,\ \ [x,y] = [0,0]
[/tex]

Find out, whether this function has total differential in [0,0].

Well, first I observed that partial derivatives aren't continuous in [0,0], which is what I expected.

So I computed them from the definition:

[tex]
\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(0,0) = \lim_{t \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(t,0) - f(0,0)}{t} = 0
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(0,0) = \lim_{t \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(0,t) - f(0,0)}{t} = 0
[/tex]

So, if the total differential exists in [0,0], it must be zero linear transform.

Now I have to checkout, if such a transform satisfies the limit and thus it is total differential:

[tex]
\lim_{||h|| \rightarrow 0} \frac{f((0,0) + h) - f(0,0) - L(h)}{||h||} = 0 ?
[/tex]

If I rewrite it in a slightly different way ( I put [itex]h = (h_1,h_2)[/itex] and [itex]h_2 = kh_1[/itex], I get

[tex]
\lim_{h_1 \rightarrow 0} \frac{\frac{kh_1^2(h_1^2 - k^2h_1^2)}{h_1^2(1+k^2}}{h_1\sqrt{1+k^2}} = \frac{k(1-k^2)}{\sqrt{(1+k^2)^3}} \lim_{h_1 \rightarrow 0} h_1
[/tex]

Well, I don't know whether this goes to zero so I tried another way, ie. approaching [0,0] on the x-axis and thus putting [itex]h_2 = 0[/itex]

The limit I got was zero, so I can't say at this moment that the total differential doesn't exist in [0,0]. Anyway, according to right results our professor gave us, total differential doesn't exist in [0,0].

How could I prove that?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did your prof give any rationale for his or her assertion?

I don't know why you say you don't know whether
[tex]\lim_{h_1 \rightarrow 0} \frac{\frac{kh_1^2(h_1^2 - k^2h_1^2)}{h_1^2(1+k^2}}{h_1\sqrt{1+k^2}} = \frac{k(1-k^2)}{\sqrt{(1+k^2)^3}} \lim_{h_1 \rightarrow 0} h_1[/tex]
goes to 0- the part involving k is finite for all k while the limit
[tex]\lim_{h_1 \rightarrow 0} h_1[/tex]
is clearly 0.

Another way to handle a problem like this is to put it into polar coordinates. In polar coordinates, this reduces to
[tex]f(r,\theta)= r^2 sin(\theta)cos(\theta)cos(2\theta)[/tex]
which clearly is differentiable at the origin.

Halls,

That's what I did and the trig terms further simplify to [itex]\sin 4 \theta[/itex] (within a factor of 2) which makes the differentiation even easier.

HallsofIvy said:
I don't know why you say you don't know whether
[tex]\lim_{h_1 \rightarrow 0} \frac{\frac{kh_1^2(h_1^2 - k^2h_1^2)}{h_1^2(1+k^2}}{h_1\sqrt{1+k^2}} = \frac{k(1-k^2)}{\sqrt{(1+k^2)^3}} \lim_{h_1 \rightarrow 0} h_1[/tex]
goes to 0- the part involving k is finite for all k while the limit
[tex]\lim_{h_1 \rightarrow 0} h_1[/tex]
is clearly 0.
Another way to handle a problem like this is to put it into polar coordinates. In polar coordinates, this reduces to
[tex]f(r,\theta)= r^2 sin(\theta)cos(\theta)cos(2\theta)[/tex]
which clearly is differentiable at the origin.

Well, I don't know polar coordinates. Maybe we sometimes touched them but didn't have them in syllabus.

So I'm trying to do it in a non-elegant way :)

So I got to the point where I need to prove the zero limit involving the total differential.

That is, I need to prove that the following goes to zero as [itex]h = [h_1,h_2] \rightarrow [0,0][/itex]

[tex]
\left|\frac{h_1h_2(h_1^2 - h_2^2)}{(h_1^2 + h_2^2)\sqrt{h_1^2 + h_2^2}}\right|
[/tex]

Could you please give me some hint how to prove that? It would be sufficient to find there some part that would be bounded for all [itex]h_1,h_2[/itex] going to 0 and multiplying it with some zero part would give me the zero as the result.

What is a total differential?

A total differential is a mathematical concept used to describe the change in a function with respect to multiple variables. It takes into account all the variables that affect the function, rather than just one at a time.

How is a total differential calculated?

To calculate a total differential, you must take the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable, and then multiply them by the corresponding changes in those variables. The sum of these products is the total differential.

Why is the total differential important?

The total differential allows us to understand how a function changes in response to changes in multiple variables. This is essential in many scientific fields, such as physics and economics, where multiple variables are often involved.

Can the total differential be used for any type of function?

Yes, the total differential can be used for any type of function, whether it is a simple algebraic equation or a complex multivariable function. As long as the function is differentiable, the total differential can be calculated.

What is the relationship between total differential and partial differential?

The total differential and partial differential are related concepts, but they are not the same. The total differential takes into account all the variables that affect a function, while the partial differential only considers the effect of one variable at a time. The total differential can be thought of as the sum of all the partial differentials.