1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total differential question

1. Oct 22, 2005 #1
    Hi,

I have this excercise to do:

Let's have function f defined as follows:

[tex]
    f(x,y) = \frac{xy(x^2 - y^2)}{x^2 + y^2},\ \ [x,y] \neq [0,0]
    [/tex]

[tex]
    f(x,y) = 0,\ \ [x,y] = [0,0]
    [/tex]

Find out, whether this function has total differential in [0,0].

Well, first I observed that partial derivatives aren't continuous in [0,0], which is what I expected.

So I computed them from the definition:

[tex]
    \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(0,0) = \lim_{t \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(t,0) - f(0,0)}{t} = 0
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(0,0) = \lim_{t \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(0,t) - f(0,0)}{t} = 0
    [/tex]

So, if the total differential exists in [0,0], it must be zero linear transform.

Now I have to checkout, if such a transform satisfies the limit and thus it is total differential:

[tex]
    \lim_{||h|| \rightarrow 0} \frac{f((0,0) + h) - f(0,0) - L(h)}{||h||} = 0 ?
    [/tex]

If I rewrite it in a slightly different way ( I put [itex]h = (h_1,h_2)[/itex] and [itex]h_2 = kh_1[/itex], I get

[tex]
    \lim_{h_1 \rightarrow 0} \frac{\frac{kh_1^2(h_1^2 - k^2h_1^2)}{h_1^2(1+k^2}}{h_1\sqrt{1+k^2}} = \frac{k(1-k^2)}{\sqrt{(1+k^2)^3}} \lim_{h_1 \rightarrow 0} h_1
    [/tex]

Well, I don't know whether this goes to zero so I tried another way, ie. approaching [0,0] on the x-axis and thus putting [itex]h_2 = 0[/itex]

The limit I got was zero, so I can't say at this moment that the total differential doesn't exist in [0,0]. Anyway, according to right results our professor gave us, total differential doesn't exist in [0,0].

How could I prove that?

Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did your prof give any rationale for his or her assertion?

4. Oct 22, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't know why you say you don't know whether
    [tex]\lim_{h_1 \rightarrow 0} \frac{\frac{kh_1^2(h_1^2 - k^2h_1^2)}{h_1^2(1+k^2}}{h_1\sqrt{1+k^2}} = \frac{k(1-k^2)}{\sqrt{(1+k^2)^3}} \lim_{h_1 \rightarrow 0} h_1[/tex]
    goes to 0- the part involving k is finite for all k while the limit
    [tex]\lim_{h_1 \rightarrow 0} h_1[/tex]
    is clearly 0.

Another way to handle a problem like this is to put it into polar coordinates. In polar coordinates, this reduces to
    [tex]f(r,\theta)= r^2 sin(\theta)cos(\theta)cos(2\theta)[/tex]
    which clearly is differentiable at the origin.

5. Oct 22, 2005 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Halls,

That's what I did and the trig terms further simplify to [itex]\sin 4 \theta[/itex] (within a factor of 2) which makes the differentiation even easier.

6. Oct 23, 2005 #5
    Well, I don't know polar coordinates. Maybe we sometimes touched them but didn't have them in syllabus.

So I'm trying to do it in a non-elegant way :)

So I got to the point where I need to prove the zero limit involving the total differential.

That is, I need to prove that the following goes to zero as [itex]h = [h_1,h_2] \rightarrow [0,0][/itex]

[tex]
    \left|\frac{h_1h_2(h_1^2 - h_2^2)}{(h_1^2 + h_2^2)\sqrt{h_1^2 + h_2^2}}\right|
    [/tex]

Could you please give me some hint how to prove that? It would be sufficient to find there some part that would be bounded for all [itex]h_1,h_2[/itex] going to 0 and multiplying it with some zero part would give me the zero as the result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?