1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total differential

1. Apr 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If z(x,y) = f(x/y)
    show that

x(∂z/∂x)y + y(∂z/∂y)x = 0

2. Relevant equations

so I understand z(x,y)
    means I can write
    dz = (∂z/∂x)ydx + (∂z/∂y)x dy

I do not understand the = f(x/y) bit though?
    does that mean this?
    df= (∂f/∂x)y dx+ (∂f/∂y)x dy
    and (∂f/∂x)y = -y/x2 (∂f/∂y)x = 1/x

although that seems wrong can't manipulate to get the answer

any help on the method or explaining f(x/y) equalling z(x,y) would be appreciated. maths is not my strongest so if possible go as basic as it comes

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That isn't true. Try it for z = f(x/y) = x/y. Generally speaking, if everything is continuous, you would have ##z_{xy} = z_{yx}## and you wouldn't expect to multiply one by x and the other by y and have them be equal with opposite signs. Did you copy the problem correctly, parentheses and all?

4. Apr 17, 2014 #3
    complete question is attached, but the information in the original post is correctly copied as far as I can see

Attached Files:

5. Apr 17, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Like I said, it is false without more context. Check my example yourself.

6. Apr 17, 2014 #5
    Sorry, I really do not follow
    I find it hard to understand mathematical notation, so re: z = f(x/y) = x/y
    I can't see how to check the example

7. Apr 17, 2014 #6

CAF123

Gold Member

You are familiar with the notation f(x) as describing a function of x. Similarly, f(x/y) just means you have some function in the variable x/y. You can instead consider u=x/y and then you are back to the more familiar f(u).

But with LCKurtz's example of f(x/y)=x/y, I get the equation to be satisfied. I also get it to be satisfied in general. I think LCKurtz simply misread the notation, that's all.

8. Apr 17, 2014 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you saying that ##\left(\frac {\partial z}{\partial x}\right)_y## means something other than ##\frac \partial {\partial y}\left (\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right )## or, as I wrote ##z_{xy}##?

9. Apr 18, 2014 #8

CAF123

Gold Member

Yes, I took ##\left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)_y## to mean, say, differentiate z wrt x, keeping y held fixed. Similarly for the other case. I actually thought that was a standard notation, although I have seen cases where they simply suppress the variable being held constant because in a sense it is obvious from the problem.

10. Apr 18, 2014 #9

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, that's a new one on me. In over 40 years of teaching calculus using many different texts, I never encountered that notation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted