Total Differentials: Taking the Total Differential of Reduced Mass

In summary, the conversation is about total differentials and the confusion regarding taking the total differential of the reduced mass equation. The individual is used to having a defined function when taking the differential, but in this case they are unsure of what it means to take the differential of \mu^{-1} . However, they are able to provide an example of taking the differential of 1/a and explain how it is similar to taking the differential of a function.
eprparadox
Hello!

I'm reading Mary Boa's "mathematical methods in the physical sciences" and I'm on a section about total differentials.

So a total differential is for f(x, y) we know to be:

[tex] df = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}{dx} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}{dy} [/tex]

Now, I've attached a problem I'm confused about. It involves taking the total differential of the reduced mass equation:

[tex] \mu^{-1} = m_1^{-1} + m_2^{-2} [/tex]

In her example, she says to take the total differential of the equation and sets the left side equal to zero. I understand why it's zero (because we want the reduced mass to be unchanged so we want [itex] \partial \mu = 0 [/itex]).

But essentially, I don't know what it means to just take the differential of [itex] \mu^{-1} [/itex] because I'm accustomed to having some defined function f(x, y) or something and if I take it's differential, I just get [itex] df [/itex].

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 11.59.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 11.59.30 AM.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 259
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the exponent means a^{-1}=1/a. Then d(1/a)=d(a^{-1})=-a^{-1-1}da. This is just d(a^n)=na^{n-1}da.

1. What is a total differential?

A total differential is an expression that represents the change in a function due to changes in one or more independent variables. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to calculate the sensitivity of a function to small changes in its variables.

2. How is a total differential different from a partial differential?

A total differential takes into account all the independent variables of a function, while a partial differential only considers one variable at a time. In other words, a total differential captures the overall change in a function, while a partial differential only captures the change in one specific direction.

3. What is the reduced mass and why is it important?

The reduced mass is a concept used in physics to describe the effective mass of a system of two or more objects. It takes into account the masses and distances of each object to calculate the overall mass of the system. This is important in calculations involving celestial bodies or atomic particles, as it simplifies the equations and allows for more accurate results.

4. How do you take the total differential of reduced mass?

To take the total differential of reduced mass, you first need to define the function that represents the reduced mass. Then, you can use the chain rule to calculate the total differential by taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each independent variable. Finally, you can substitute the values for the variables to obtain the total differential of the reduced mass.

5. What are some real-world applications of total differentials and reduced mass?

Total differentials and reduced mass are commonly used in fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering. They are used to calculate the dynamics of celestial bodies, the motion of particles in a system, and the stability of structures. They are also important in the study of fluids and thermodynamics, as well as in financial and economic analyses.