Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total Differentials

1. Jul 30, 2014 #1
    Hello!

I'm reading Mary Boa's "mathematical methods in the physical sciences" and I'm on a section about total differentials.

So a total differential is for f(x, y) we know to be:

[tex] df = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}{dx} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}{dy} [/tex]

Now, I've attached a problem I'm confused about. It involves taking the total differential of the reduced mass equation:

[tex] \mu^{-1} = m_1^{-1} + m_2^{-2} [/tex]

In her example, she says to take the total differential of the equation and sets the left side equal to zero. I understand why it's zero (because we want the reduced mass to be unchanged so we want [itex] \partial \mu = 0 [/itex]).

But essentially, I don't know what it means to just take the differential of [itex] \mu^{-1} [/itex] because I'm accustomed to having some defined function f(x, y) or something and if I take it's differential, I just get [itex] df [/itex].

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2014 #2

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I assume the exponent means a^{-1}=1/a. Then d(1/a)=d(a^{-1})=-a^{-1-1}da. This is just d(a^n)=na^{n-1}da.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook