How to Calculate Maximum Error in Polar Coordinates

• Thread starter Bryon
  • Start date
In summary, the goal of the conversation was to find the maximum error in measuring the polar coordinates of a point (7.2, 2.5) given a possible error of 0.05 in each coordinate. The equations used were dx = deltax, dy = deltay, and dz = (partial diff of z with respect to x)dx + (partial diff of z with respect to y)dy. The conversation also touched on the possibility of using the equations x = rcos(theta), y = rsin(theta), and tan(theta) = y/x. Ultimately, the solution involved differentiating r = y/sin(theta) and theta = arcsin(y/r) in terms of the original Cartesian coordinates.
Bryon

Homework Statement

Rectangular to Polar Coordinates:
I am to find the approximate maximum error in measuring the polar coordinates of the point (7.2, 2.5). There is a possible error of 0.05 in each coordinate.

Homework Equations

dx = deltax
dy = deltay

dz = (partial diff of z with respect to x)dx + (partial diff of z with respect to y)dy

Not sure if I need the following:
x = rcos(theta)
y = rsin(theta)
tan(theta) = y/x

The Attempt at a Solution

I suspect that dx = dy = 0.05

I could set the rectangular coordinates to the polar conversions but I am not sure how that helps:

7.2 = rcos(theta)
2.5 = rsin(theta)

This is where I am held up at and not sure how to go about solving this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are dr and [tex]d\theta[/tex] in terms of dx and dy?

Would I be differentiating r = y/sin(theta) theta = arcin(y/r) and r = x/cos(theta) theta = arccos(x/r)?

Bryon said:
Would I be differentiating r = y/sin(theta) theta = arcin(y/r) and r = x/cos(theta) theta = arccos(x/r)?

Close, but get the r's out of your [tex]\theta[/tex] formulas and the [tex]\theta[/tex]'s out of your r formulas.

Ah, all I have to do is substitute r for r = y/sin(theta) in theta = arcsin(y/r) which would be
theta = arcsin(y/ysin(theta)) and so on! Thanks!

No, you need the r's and [tex]\theta[/tex]'s entirely in terms of the original Cartesian coordinates.

I figured it out! Thank you very much!

1. What is the total differential problem?

The total differential problem is a mathematical concept used to find the total change in a function when multiple variables are involved. It is used to calculate the change in a function due to small changes in each of its variables.

2. How is the total differential problem different from partial differentiation?

The total differential problem calculates the total change in a function, while partial differentiation only calculates the change in one variable while holding the others constant.

3. What is the purpose of solving a total differential problem?

Solving a total differential problem allows us to understand how small changes in each variable affect the overall function. This is useful in many scientific fields, such as physics and economics.

4. Can the total differential problem be solved for any type of function?

Yes, the total differential problem can be solved for any type of function, as long as it is differentiable. This means that the function must have a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain.

5. What are some real-world applications of the total differential problem?

The total differential problem is used in a variety of fields, including physics, economics, and engineering. It can be used to calculate the sensitivity of a system to changes in its variables, and is essential in optimization and control problems.