Total displacement of sail boat

In summary: Good job junior_j! :)In summary, a sailboat tacking against the wind traveled a total distance of 10.3 km at an angle of 85 degrees north of east. The average velocity for this section of the trip was 5.619 km/h. Assuming the speed was constant, the speed was 8.24 km/h.
needhelp83
A sailboat tacking against the wind moves as follows:
5.8 km at 45 degrees east of north, and then
4.5 km at 50 degrees west of north.
The entire motion takes 1 h 15 min
What is the total displacement?
What is the average velocity of this section of the trip?
What is the speed, if it is assumed to be constant?

Total Displacement
/\x = 5.8*sin(45) + 4.5*sin(-50)= 6.116 km
/\y = 5.8*cos(45) + 4.5*cos(-50)= 7.389 km
/\d = sqrt(/\x^2 + /\y^2) = 9.592 km = 9592 m

Average Velocity
v= r/t

How do I figure out the rest from this information? Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The speed (assuming it is constant through the trip) is just the total distance traveled divided by the time it took to travel that distance.

Average velocity is displacement divided by the time.

big man said:
The speed (assuming it is constant through the trip) is just the total distance traveled divided by the time it took to travel that distance.

Average velocity is displacement divided by the time.

Average velocity=displacement/time
Average velocity=9.592 km/1.25 h=7.623 km/h

yeah that's right formula.

However, looking at your calculation for displacement I don't think it's right. I don't think you're going to have a right angle triangle with those angles. I think that you will have to use the law of cosines to calculate displacement.

hmmm ... I am new to vectors (and Physics as a whole) ... but i did manage to do some calculations using the cosine law and it seems that big man is correct . The displacement should be around 10.3 Kms . As far as the average velocity is concerned ... well its about 2.3 ms^-1 . It says that the speed is assumed to be constant , so ... use this equation s = ut where s = total distance , t = total time and u = constant speed ...

BTW which book are u going through ??

sorry i think i got it wrong ... it said west of north damn ! anyways i think u get the picture right ?

Welcome junior_j!

I actually calculated the displacement to be roughly 7 km.

The angle opposite the displacement line is 85 degrees. Is that what you got?

EDIT: haha that was a quick post. Disregard this post ;)

now that u mentioned it I am doing it again :)

... yes those are what i got ... the angle opposite to the resultant vector is 85 degrees and the resultant displacement is 7km

Alright here's another shot...

Total Displacement
180-angle A-angle B=angle C
180-45-50=85
v3^2=v1^2+v2^2-2(v1)(v2)cos(C)
v3^2=5.8^2+4.5^2-(52.2)cos(85)
v3^2=49.341
v3=7.024 km

Average velocity=displacement/time
Average velocity=7.024 km/1.25 h=5.619 km/h

How would I calculate the speed?
Constant Acceleration

speed = distance/time

So 4.5 + 5.8 = 10.3 km. That is your total distance covered in the given time interval.

Edit: Forgot to say that your above working is correct as well for the average velocity.

speed=distance/time
speed=4.5 km + 5.8 km/1.25 h= 8.24 km/h

Yup that's it!

1. What is total displacement of a sail boat?

Total displacement refers to the weight of a sail boat when it is fully loaded with all necessary equipment, supplies, and crew members.

2. How is total displacement calculated?

Total displacement is calculated by adding the weight of the boat's hull, equipment, fuel, water, and crew members. This weight is typically measured in pounds or kilograms.

3. Why is total displacement important for sail boats?

Knowing the total displacement of a sail boat is important because it affects the boat's performance, stability, and buoyancy. It also determines how much weight the boat can safely carry.

4. How does total displacement affect a sail boat's speed?

The total displacement of a sail boat can impact its speed by affecting its waterline length and hull shape. A heavier boat may have a slower speed due to increased resistance in the water.

5. Can total displacement change over time?

Yes, the total displacement of a sail boat can change over time as equipment and supplies are added or removed, or if modifications are made to the boat's structure. It is important to regularly check and update the total displacement for safety and performance reasons.