Total Displacement of Duck on Pond: 86.7 m

• Thread starter justgroovin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Displacement
In summary, the duck travelled a total of 86.7 m in 2.0 minutes. Its average speed was .73 m/s, and its average displacement was 78.1 m.
justgroovin

Homework Statement

In a total time of 2.0 min, a duck on a pond paddles 22 m [36 degrees N of E] and then paddles another 65 m [E 25 degrees S]
Determine the duck's
i) total distance travelled
ii) average speed
iii) total displacement
iv) average velocity

Homework Equations

ii) v= delta d/t
iii) C = sqrt Cx^2 + Cy^2
iv) still working on it...was focusing on iii) for quite a while

The Attempt at a Solution

i) d = 87 m
ii) v = .73 m/s
iii)Ax = 22 cos 36 = 17.8 Bx = 65 cos 25 = 58.9
Ay = 22 sin 36 = 12.9 By = 65 sin 25 =27.5

Cx = 17.8 + 58.9 = 76.7
Cy = 12.9 + 27.5 = 40.4
C = √(〖Cx〗^2+〖Cy〗^2 )
C = √(5882.89+1632.16)
C = 86.7
Therefore, the total displacement is 86.7 m
I'm hoping I'm at least on the right track...I'm starting an online physics course with absolutely no background. Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
justgroovin said:

The Attempt at a Solution

i) d = 87 m
ii) v = .73 m/s
iii)Ax = 22 cos 36 = 17.8 Bx = 65 cos 25 = 58.9
Ay = 22 sin 36 = 12.9 By = 65 sin 25 =27.5

Cx = 17.8 + 58.9 = 76.7
Cy = 12.9 + 27.5 = 40.4
C = √(〖Cx〗^2+〖Cy〗^2 )
C = √(5882.89+1632.16)
C = 86.7
Therefore, the total displacement is 86.7 m
I'm hoping I'm at least on the right track...I'm starting an online physics course with absolutely no background. Thanks for any help!
The first rule of vector math is to Draw a vector diagram. In this case, it is a vector diagram of the two displacements.

You seem to have the right idea but you are making an error in adding the displacements. The y component of the second trip is in the opposite direction to the first. In the first trip the duck goes north. In the second, south. You can see that your answer must be wrong because you have the duck's displacement almost equal to the distance - which would have to be almost a straight line.

AM

Thank you for your help ...sorry for the delayed response, I'm apparently quite good at avoiding my physics course LOL. I appreciste the feedback.
So I ended up with total displacement = 78.1 m after I gave Cy a negative value of -14.6
Thanks again!

1. What is the significance of the total displacement of the duck on the pond?

The total displacement of the duck on the pond represents the distance traveled by the duck from its initial position to its final position. It is a measure of the overall movement of the duck on the pond.

2. How is the total displacement of the duck on the pond calculated?

The total displacement of the duck on the pond is calculated by subtracting the initial position of the duck from its final position. This gives the overall distance traveled by the duck.

3. Why is the total displacement of the duck on the pond important in scientific research?

The total displacement of the duck on the pond is important in scientific research because it provides a quantitative measurement of the movement of the duck. This can be used to analyze patterns and behaviors of the duck on the pond.

4. Can the total displacement of the duck on the pond change over time?

Yes, the total displacement of the duck on the pond can change over time as the duck moves around the pond. It may also change due to external factors such as wind or currents in the pond.

5. How can the total displacement of the duck on the pond be used to study the ecosystem of the pond?

The total displacement of the duck on the pond can be used to study the ecosystem of the pond by tracking the movement of the duck and observing its interactions with other organisms in the pond. This can provide insights into the dynamics and health of the pond ecosystem.