1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total distance of a particle

Tags:
  1. Feb 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a particle's position is represented parametrically by x=t^2-3 and y=(2/3)t^3

Find the total distance traveled by the particle from t= 0 to 5

2. Relevant equations
    Can't think of any

3. The attempt at a solution
    I cannot think of a way to do it keeping it in terms of t. All I could do was convert the original equations to Cartesian and evaluate the difference from t=0 to 5 which in terms of x is -3 to 22.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2015 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Look in your text for the formula for arc length of a parametric curve ##\vec R(t) = \langle x(t),y(t)\rangle##.

4. Feb 23, 2015 #3
    Ok thanks I was not thinking of arc length for some reason. I got 87.72 as the total distance can that be verified as correct?

5. Feb 23, 2015 #4
    Also, just as a side question, in this problem what if it asked for net distance instead of total distance, I was just trying to conceptualize that. In this case the net distance would be equal to the total distance correct? When would there be a vector situation where the net distance would not equal the total distance?

6. Feb 23, 2015 #5
    Actually, how would you even define net distance for a vector situation like this? I kind of confused myself now

7. Feb 23, 2015 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You will have to show your work to get it checked. I get a different answer so one of us is wrong. Also note that ##\int_a^b|\vec V(t)|~dt## is always positive as long as ##a<b## so there is no need to talk about "net" distance.

8. Feb 23, 2015 #7
    It would be the integral from 0 to 5 of squareroot of (dx/dt)^2+(dy/dt)^2 right? So integral from 0 to 5 of squareroot of ( (2t)^2 + (2t^2)^2) dt right?

9. Feb 24, 2015 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's right. And this morning, I agree with your answer. Must have had a mistake last night.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted