1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total distance

1. Sep 23, 2004 #1
    Plz help me w/ this problem...thanks
    Two trains, each hav ing a speed of 30 km/h, are headed at each other on the same straight track. A bird that can fly 60km/h flies off the front of one train when they r 60km apart and heads directly for the other train. On reaching the other train it flies directly back to the first train, n so forth. What is the total distance the bird travels?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think you need to give more information, like how far apart the trains are. Here's a hint, figure out the amount of time the bird is aloft first.
  4. Sep 23, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What approaches have you tried?
  5. Sep 23, 2004 #4
    Like pervect said, you need to specify the initial distance between the two trains.

Also: you say that the bird can fly 60km/h. Do you mean to say '60km/h' added onto the trains velocity? Or, due to it's size and shape, can only reach 60km/h at the max, due to air resistance? In which casem the factor of Frame of reference comes into play.

So, specify whether the birds velocity is 60km/h relative to the ground, or the train, also, the initial distance between the trains :)

6. Sep 23, 2004 #5
    The other guys said it right. It wasn't specified whether the bird can go 60k/h with respect to the ground or the train it left from but I'll assume with respect to the ground. If both trains are heading toward each other at 30k/h, it will take them one hour to meet correct? If the bird flies as fast as possible in one hour, how far could it have gone?
  7. Sep 23, 2004 #6
    A similar question was asked on PF several months ago. You can access it here: https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/t-21453_Tips_for_problem.html.

Lets not confuse hytuoc with relative velocity, okay? I don't think this problem would be so conjugated. Since we are on this topic, I would also like to say that the length of the bird's body is not specified. Hence, the problem cannot be solved unless we assume the bird to be a 1D object, which is an impossible situation. :wink:

hytuoc, ignore what we have all just said if you confused, and just click on my link above.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?