How Small Can a Quantum Well Be for an Electron's Total Energy to Be Zero?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem on a practice final that involves using the uncertainty principle to find the value of DeltaX for a quantum well with a width of DeltaX and a depth of 1.0 eV, where an electron has a potential energy of -1.0 eV inside the well and 0 eV outside. The student attempted to solve for DeltaX and was unsure if they did it correctly due to not knowing the mass of the electron on the exam. The expert confirms that their approach is correct and this type of problem is common for practicing order-of-magnitude calculations.
D__grant
1. Homework Statement

-This is a problem on my practice final that I haven't been able to solve. Hoping someone out there can take a crack & clarify it for me.

Quantum wells are devices which can be used to trap electrons in semiconductors. If the electron is in the well it has a lower energy than if it is outside, so it tends to stay in the well. Suppose we have a quantum well which has a width of DeltaX and a depth of 1.0 eV , i.e. if the electron is in the well it has a potential energy of -1.0 eV and if it is outside it has a potential energy of 0 eV. Use the uncertainty principle to find the value of DeltaX for which total energy kinetic & potential of an electron in the well is zero.
Note: This is the smallest size well we can have because if deltaX is any smaller, the total energy of the electron in the well will be bigger than zero, and escape.

2. Homework Equations
1. E=KE+PE
2. Vo= -1 eV
3. Total Energy > 1/2m x (h/2piDeltaX)^2 - Vo

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I set the Total Energy=0 and attempted to solve for deltaX. My first solution was the the order of 10^-11 but I doubt I answered it correctly. Also, the mass of an electron was not given on the exam so I'm wondering if there's a different path to take. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have the right idea. If the mass of the electron was not given, then what constants were given?

Charge of an electron in joules? I noticed somewhere in my notes he used the mass of an electron in eV.
--

I am just completely unsure as to whether this is "the way to do it."

Thank you though, Bruce

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the right way. This is one of those examples that are used over and over again to get students used to making "order-of-magnitude" calculations.

for any help.

Based on the given information, we can use the uncertainty principle to solve for the minimum width (DeltaX) of the quantum well in which the total energy of the electron is zero. The uncertainty principle states that the product of the uncertainty in position (DeltaX) and the uncertainty in momentum (DeltaP) must be greater than or equal to h/2pi, where h is the Planck's constant. In this case, we can assume that the uncertainty in momentum is equal to the uncertainty in the kinetic energy (KE) of the electron.

Using the given equation E=KE+PE, where PE is the potential energy of the electron, we can rewrite it as KE=E-PE. Since we want the total energy to be zero, we can substitute E=0 and PE=-1 eV (given in the problem) to get KE=1 eV. From the uncertainty principle, we know that DeltaX * DeltaP >= h/2pi. We can rewrite DeltaP as m * DeltaV (where m is the mass of the electron and DeltaV is the uncertainty in velocity). We also know that KE=1/2 * m * DeltaV^2. Substituting this into the uncertainty principle equation, we get:

DeltaX * m * DeltaV^2 >= h/2pi

Solving for DeltaX, we get:

DeltaX >= (h/2pi) / (m * DeltaV^2)

Since we want the minimum value of DeltaX, we can assume that DeltaV is equal to the maximum velocity of the electron, which is the velocity when it is at the edge of the well. This velocity can be calculated using the classical equation KE=1/2 * m * v^2, where v is the maximum velocity. Substituting this into the above equation, we get:

DeltaX >= (h/2pi) / (m * (2 * KE/m)^2)

Simplifying this, we get:

DeltaX >= (h^2/16pi^2) * (1/KE)

Substituting the given value of KE=1 eV, we get:

DeltaX >= (6.626 x 10^-34 J*s)^2 / (16 * (3.14)^2 * 1 eV)

DeltaX >= 1.37 x 10^-10 m

Therefore, the minimum width of the

What is Total E in Quantum Well?

Total E in Quantum Well refers to the total energy of a particle trapped in a quantum well. It is the sum of the particle's kinetic energy and potential energy within the well.

How is Total E in Quantum Well calculated?

The total energy in a quantum well can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the particle's wave function and the potential energy function of the well.

What factors affect Total E in Quantum Well?

The total energy in a quantum well is affected by the depth and width of the well, as well as the properties of the particle itself, such as its mass and charge.

Why is Total E in Quantum Well important in quantum mechanics?

Total E in Quantum Well is important in quantum mechanics because it helps us understand the behavior of particles in confined spaces, such as in semiconductor devices. It also plays a crucial role in determining the energy levels and excitations of a particle in a quantum well.

Can Total E in Quantum Well be manipulated?

Yes, the total energy in a quantum well can be manipulated by changing the properties of the well, such as its depth and width, or by applying external electric or magnetic fields. This manipulation is key in controlling the behavior of particles and creating desired effects in quantum devices.