Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Total eclipse tonight

1. Oct 27, 2004 #1

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

this is just a reminder
    Labguy already posted this three weeks ago on "Events" thread

Here's one of many newsitems about it:
    http://space.com/spacewatch/eclipse_041027.html

Here's Labguy's earlier post
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=335764#post335764

It looks like it will be visible to a lot of PFzers because
    it will be visible from Western Europe and South America and
    from nearly all of North America----all except the westernmost fringe.

I think it will be a bit marginal where I live because Pacific Time totality starts 7:23 PM this evening and lasts til 8:45PM. We have hills to the east and the moon wont be very high that early in the evening.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2004 #2

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you for that timely reminder marcus, here in England it is rain as usual! Perhaps there will be a hole in the clouds!

Garth

4. Oct 27, 2004 #3

turbo

Gold Member

There has been a lot about it in the poular press because it will coincide with the World Series game tonight. Many sports fans are superstitious - especially Red Sox fans who believe that selling Babe Ruth to the Yankees has cursed the team. If the Sox win tonight, they will have won 8 consecutive post-season games and their first World Series in over 80 years. Any significant plays or runs during totality will only add to the mumbo-jumbo! If someone hits a grand slam during totality (for either team) the press will play it up big-time! :uhh: Be prepared to educate your "astronomically-challenged" friends or just humor them.

5. Oct 27, 2004 #4

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I saw a total lunar eclipse from a baseball game before. Not the World Series, but a regular-season San Francisco Giants game. A stadium is definately the WRONG place to watch an eclipse from. The lights drowned out the whole thing until totality ended. But they did put up an image on the scoreboard of the moon in totality. It drew huge cheers from the crowd.

Tonight, in San Francisco, the moon will be partly immersed in Earth's umbra when it rises. This should make a very cool moonrise picture. Check back tommorow.

6. Oct 28, 2004 #5

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Watched the first half of the eclipse. By the time I decided to go over to my buddy's house (who has a 4" reflector), the clouds had rolled in.

7. Oct 28, 2004 #6

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Oct 28, 2004 #7

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

usually i have cloudy weather this time of year in oregon, but last night i got a great view of the eclipse, and a dark red one too! very cool, right before halloween and all..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?