this is just a reminder
Labguy already posted this three weeks ago on "Events" thread

Here's one of many newsitems about it:
http://space.com/spacewatch/eclipse_041027.html

Here's Labguy's earlier post
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=335764#post335764

It looks like it will be visible to a lot of PFzers because
it will be visible from Western Europe and South America and
from nearly all of North America----all except the westernmost fringe.

I think it will be a bit marginal where I live because Pacific Time totality starts 7:23 PM this evening and lasts til 8:45PM. We have hills to the east and the moon wont be very high that early in the evening.

Answers and Replies

Garth
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Thank you for that timely reminder marcus, here in England it is rain as usual! Perhaps there will be a hole in the clouds!

Garth

turbo
Gold Member
marcus said:
It looks like it will be visible to a lot of PFzers because
it will be visible from Western Europe and South America and
from nearly all of North America----all except the westernmost fringe.

I think it will be a bit marginal where I live because Pacific Time totality starts 7:23 PM this evening and lasts til 8:45PM. We have hills to the east and the moon wont be very high that early in the evening.
There has been a lot about it in the poular press because it will coincide with the World Series game tonight. Many sports fans are superstitious - especially Red Sox fans who believe that selling Babe Ruth to the Yankees has cursed the team. If the Sox win tonight, they will have won 8 consecutive post-season games and their first World Series in over 80 years. Any significant plays or runs during totality will only add to the mumbo-jumbo! If someone hits a grand slam during totality (for either team) the press will play it up big-time! :uhh: Be prepared to educate your "astronomically-challenged" friends or just humor them.

tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I saw a total lunar eclipse from a baseball game before. Not the World Series, but a regular-season San Francisco Giants game. A stadium is definately the WRONG place to watch an eclipse from. The lights drowned out the whole thing until totality ended. But they did put up an image on the scoreboard of the moon in totality. It drew huge cheers from the crowd.

Tonight, in San Francisco, the moon will be partly immersed in Earth's umbra when it rises. This should make a very cool moonrise picture. Check back tommorow.

enigma
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Watched the first half of the eclipse. By the time I decided to go over to my buddy's house (who has a 4" reflector), the clouds had rolled in.

Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
usually i have cloudy weather this time of year in oregon, but last night i got a great view of the eclipse, and a dark red one too! very cool, right before halloween and all..