Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Total Elastic Potential Energy 2

1. Jan 27, 2005 #1
    I need to know how to go about finding the speed.

A block B of mass 5 kg is fastened to one end of each of two springs. The other ends of the springs are attached to fixed points A and C, 4 metres apart on a smooth horizontal surface, as shown in the diagram.

Spring AB has natural length 2 metres and modulus of elasticity 30 N, while BC has natural length 1 metre and modulus 40 N (you may assume that the springs meet at the centre of B).

If the block is moved 0.5 metres towards C from its equilibrium position and then released, determine its speed as it passes through its equilibrium position.

this is what i have tried

Energy in string when moved 0.5m = total mech energy before the 0.5 movement
    E= 30*(0.5)^2/(2*2) = 1.575 J

KE= 1/2*5*v^2 = 5/2*v^2 J and
    E in string 30*(3/8)^2/2*2 = 7.93 J

7.93 + 5/2v^2 = 1.875
    this leads me to taking square root of a -ve number

could someone help me!

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2005 #2
    I'm going to assume this is a follow-up to the question I did https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=61316".

The springs already had an extension at the equilibrium position, so when you move it box towards C, the extension will change.
    The extension in AB (x) is now: 0.5 + 8/11 = 27/22
    The extension in BC (y) is now: 3/11 - 0.5 = -5/22 (i.e. compression)

Calculate the total mechanical energy at that point (which is only EPE). This should equal the total mechanical energy at the equilibrium position (which is KE & EPE).

It's important that you calculate the total energy. You shouldn't get the square root of a negative number. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  4. Jan 28, 2005 #3
    cheers i can dig that

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook