Total Energy Help: Ktrans, Wgrav, Whand, Ktotal & Krot

In summary, the problem involves finding the translational kinetic energy, distance of gravitational force, work done by gravitational force, distance your hand moves, work done by your hand, total kinetic energy, and rotational kinetic energy of a real system. The equations used are delta(E) = W + Q and Q = 0. The solution involves finding the potential energy first and then subtracting it from the total energy to get the kinetic energy. The final answer is 69.444 J, but it was marked wrong.
fball558

Homework Statement

it is a multi part problem i found most just need help on last two but gave answers to the ones i found because they are needed to determin the answer.

What is the translational kinetic energy of the real system, at the instant shown in the right diagram?
Ktrans = 10.412 J

What is the distance through which the gravitational force acts on the real system? .19 m

How much work is done on the system by the gravitational force?
Wgrav = -16.758 J

What is the distance through which your hand moves? .72 m

How much work do you do on the real system?
Whand = 102.96 J

At the instant shown in the right diagram, what is the total kinetic energy of the real system?
Ktotal = J

What is the rotational kinetic energy of the machinery inside the box?
Krot,f = J

Homework Equations

from a question earlier on my assingment i found that only
translational and rotational kenetic energy are pressent
will need conservation of energy
delta(E) = W + Q
i assumed Q = 0 because we have not went in depth about heat trasfer due to friction and all that stuff.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
oops i forgot to show my work ok here is what i did.
inital state box has no energy it is on the ground and not moving.
final state it is .19 meters above the ground moving in +y direction and spinning

i took delta(E) = w + Q Q=0
so delta(E) = W
W would equal work done by your hand (102.96) plus work done by gravity (-16.758) since gravity is - it is actually suptracting so i get delta(E) = 86.202
that sould be total energy but we only want kenetic energy so i found potential energy using mgh (mass was given as 9 kg) so 9*9.8*.19 = 16.758. that should be potential so
i subtracted that from total 86.202 - 16.758 = 69.444
that is my answer but it says I am wrong. any help would be great!
thanks and sorry about the length of this post.

Based on the information provided, it seems like you have already calculated the translational kinetic energy (Ktrans) and the rotational kinetic energy (Krot) of the system. To find the total kinetic energy (Ktotal), you will need to add these two values together.

Ktotal = Ktrans + Krot

To find the distance through which the gravitational force acts on the system, you can use the formula for work (W = F * d) and solve for d.

d = Wgrav / Fgrav

Where Fgrav is the gravitational force acting on the system, which can be calculated using Newton's Law of Gravitation (Fgrav = G * m1 * m2 / r^2).

To find the work done by your hand on the system (Whand), you can use the same formula (W = F * d) and solve for d, where F is the force applied by your hand and d is the distance through which your hand moves.

Now, to find the total energy of the system, you can use the conservation of energy equation:

delta(E) = W + Q

Since there is no heat transfer (Q = 0), the equation simplifies to:

delta(E) = W

So, the total energy of the system (E) would be the sum of all the work done on the system (W) by different forces. In this case, it would be the work done by the gravitational force (Wgrav) and the work done by your hand (Whand).

E = Wgrav + Whand

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is Ktrans and how is it calculated?

Ktrans, also known as translational kinetic energy, is the energy associated with the motion of an object. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its velocity squared, divided by 2.

What is Wgrav and how is it related to potential energy?

Wgrav, also known as work done by gravity, is the energy required to move an object against the force of gravity. It is related to potential energy because as an object is lifted against gravity, its potential energy increases.

What is Whand and how is it related to mechanical energy?

Whand, also known as work done by a hand or external force, is the energy required to move an object by applying a force with your hand or a machine. It is related to mechanical energy because it is one of the forms of energy that makes up the total mechanical energy of a system.

What is Ktotal and how is it calculated?

Ktotal, also known as total kinetic energy, is the sum of all the kinetic energies of the objects in a system. It is calculated by adding together the translational and rotational kinetic energies of all the objects in the system.

What is Krot and how is it related to rotational motion?

Krot, also known as rotational kinetic energy, is the energy associated with the rotational motion of an object. It is related to rotational motion because it is directly proportional to the moment of inertia and the angular velocity of the rotating object.