Total energy in a system of capacitors

In summary, the energy in both series capacitors is equal to the sum of the energy in all the capacitors.
davidbenari
Can someone provide for me a proof that the total energy of my equivalent capacitor is equal to the sum of the energy in all capacitors? Or, if this is untrue, tell me why?

Is this applicable to current and resistors too?

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you define energy in a capacitance? Can you do the math yourself to compare total energy on a simple set of series parallel capacitors and then do the same for the equivalent capacitance?

Since resistors don't store energy, I don't know what you might have in mind for "Is this applicable to current and resistors too?"

My problem was proving it for series capacitors. Parallel capacitors seem more straightforward, for two reasons, one is that they add $Ceq=C_1+C_2...+C_n$ the other is that they all have the same $V$.

Series capacitors don't always have the same $V$ and they add differently. So I can't do it at the moment. :(

What i meant with resistors was the power they consume. Is the power an equivalent resistor consumes equal to the sum of all the powers on all resistors?

davidbenari said:
What i meant with resistors was the power they consume. Is the power an equivalent resistor consumes equal to the sum of all the powers on all resistors?
So I ask for that as well, can you figure the power consumed in a resistive circuit and then do the same for the equivalent resistance?

What is it that prevents you from doing it for series capacitors?

davidbenari said:
My problem was proving it for series capacitors. Parallel capacitors seem more straightforward, for two reasons, one is that they add $Ceq=C_1+C_2...+C_n$ the other is that they all have the same $V$.

Series capacitors don't always have the same $V$ and they add differently. So I can't do it at the moment. :(

If both series capacitors start out uncharged, they will always have the same charge, because the current through them is always the same.
In this case their energy is:

[tex] \frac {1}{2} \frac {Q^2} {C_1} + \frac {1}{2} \frac {Q^2} {C_2} [/tex]

The equivalent capacitance is

[tex] \frac {C_1 C_2} {C_1+C_2} [/tex]

and the energy of the equivalent capacitance is

[tex] \frac {1}{2}\frac {Q^2} {C_{eq}} = \frac {1}{2} \frac {Q^2 (C_1 + C_2) } {C_1 C_2} = [/tex] which is equal to the sum of the stored energy of C1 and C2 calculated above.

willem2 said:

If both series capacitors start out uncharged, they will always have the same charge, because the current through them is always the same.
In this case their energy is:

[tex] \frac {1}{2} \frac {Q^2} {C_1} + \frac {1}{2} \frac {Q^2} {C_2} [/tex]

The equivalent capacitance is

[tex] \frac {C_1 C_2} {C_1+C_2} [/tex]

and the energy of the equivalent capacitance is

[tex] \frac {1}{2}\frac {Q^2} {C_{eq}} = \frac {1}{2} \frac {Q^2 (C_1 + C_2) } {C_1 C_2} = [/tex] which is equal to the sum of the stored energy of C1 and C2 calculated above.

I would have appreciated it if you would have waited for him to answer my question before you spoon fed him the answer. My goal was to help him figure it out on his own.

1. What is the equation for total energy in a system of capacitors?

The equation for total energy in a system of capacitors is E = ½CV2, where E is the total energy, C is the total capacitance, and V is the total voltage.

2. How is total energy affected when capacitors are connected in series?

When capacitors are connected in series, the total energy in the system decreases. This is because the total capacitance decreases, and therefore the voltage across each capacitor decreases as well.

3. How does the total energy change when capacitors are connected in parallel?

When capacitors are connected in parallel, the total energy in the system increases. This is because the total capacitance increases, and therefore the voltage across each capacitor increases as well.

4. Can the total energy in a system of capacitors be negative?

No, the total energy in a system of capacitors can never be negative. Capacitors store energy in the form of an electric field, so the energy is always positive.

5. How does the total energy in a system of capacitors change over time?

The total energy in a system of capacitors remains constant over time, as long as no external factors such as changes in voltage or capacitance occur. This is because capacitors are idealized as having no resistance, so once they are fully charged, no energy is lost due to heat or other factors.