Total energy levels of the electron and rest energy

In summary, The conversation discusses the energy levels and velocity of electrons in an atom, as well as the total (relativistic) energy of the electrons. The formula for the total energy is mentioned as the Dirac equation, which takes into account relativistic effects. In heavy elements, the total energy is usually lower and the binding energy is higher due to these effects. However, there are also interactions with photons that do not change the energy level, such as Rayleigh scattering. The question of why absorption of photons can increase or decrease the velocity of electrons is raised, but it is stated that absorption can only increase the energy and velocity of an electron.
relativityfan
hi,

the following question is extremely important so please reply!

in an atom, the energy levels of the electrons are negative and the velocity of the electron increases when the energy decreases.

however, this cannot be the total energy(in relativity) because it does not includes the rest energy of the electron
what I really don't know is the formula for the total (relativistic) energy of the electrons. With the binding energy, the mass of the electron decreases(mass deficit) but its speed increases, therefore its relativistic mass too...

For example, in heavy elements (for example Z>90), the velocity of electrons is relativistic. In such case, should the total energy of the elecrons (binding energy) be higher or lower than the rest energy?

and I suppose that such energy can be reached by absorbing photons.
in an particle accelerators, I suppose that the relativistic mass is increased by absorbing photons.
I also suppose that the only photons absorption and emission of photons by electrons drops from an energy level to another energy level. (where are the virtual photons?)

Am I correct with thiese sentences?

so why in some case absorbing photons increases the velocity and in other cases it decreases the velocity?

Please reply, any help for one of these questions is very welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
relativityfan said:
however, this cannot be the total energy(in relativity) because it does not includes the rest energy of the electron

Well that's mostly just a shift of [tex]m_0c^2[/tex].
what I really don't know is the formula for the total (relativistic) energy of the electrons.

That'd be the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_equation" (if you ignore QED effects)
For example, in heavy elements (for example Z>90), the velocity of electrons is relativistic. In such case, should the total energy of the elecrons (binding energy) be higher or lower than the rest energy

The total energy is usually lower and the binding energy higher. Both for relativistic effects overall, and for the mass-velocity correction specifically. However, some relativistic effects raise the energy (e.g. the Darwin term), but these are obviously smaller.
I also suppose that the only photons absorption and emission of photons by electrons drops from an energy level to another energy level. (where are the virtual photons?)

No, there are atom-photon interactions which leave the energy level unchanged; Rayleigh scattering for instance.
so why in some case absorbing photons increases the velocity and in other cases it decreases the velocity?

Huh? The absorption of a photon by an electron can only increase its energy and velocity.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between total energy levels and rest energy of an electron?

The total energy levels of an electron refer to the sum of its kinetic energy and potential energy in an atom. On the other hand, the rest energy of an electron is its energy when it is at rest. This is equivalent to its mass multiplied by the speed of light squared (E=mc2).

2. How are the total energy levels of an electron determined?

The total energy levels of an electron are determined by its quantum numbers, specifically the principal quantum number, orbital quantum number, and magnetic quantum number. These numbers describe the location and energy of an electron in an atom.

3. Can an electron have negative total energy levels?

No, the total energy levels of an electron cannot be negative. According to the laws of thermodynamics, energy cannot be negative. However, an electron can have negative potential energy in certain locations within an atom.

4. How does the total energy levels of an electron affect its behavior within an atom?

The total energy levels of an electron determine its stability and the likelihood of it transitioning to a higher or lower energy level. Electrons are most stable in their lowest energy level, also known as the ground state.

5. What is the significance of the rest energy of an electron?

The rest energy of an electron is significant because it is a fundamental property of matter. It is also the energy that is released or absorbed during nuclear reactions, such as in nuclear power plants or nuclear weapons.