1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total energy, mass, and momentum.

1. May 30, 2005 #1
    An electron with speed 0.8c, has a rest energy of .51MeV.

What are its mass, its momentum, and its enegy (including rest energy)?

Ok, isnt it possible to get the three answers without using the .5MeV ?

I have 3 formulas for mass, momentum and total energy that dont use the .5Mev

but then I feel like I might be doing something wrong since they gave me the value.

Im not sure how to post the forumlas, but they are on this page

thanks for any help
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2005 #2
    The rest energy is the [tex]m_0c^2[/tex] part of the formulas found on that page. Also, hyperphysics ( http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html ) is the #1 most helpful site I have found when I need to reference something. You will probably understand the formulas a little better if you look at the sections dedicated to relativistic energy there.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2005
  4. May 30, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The only way to avoid using the given information is if you know the rest mass of the electron. Look at the E equation in the limit of zero velocity. What is it telling you?

OOPs too late again. It's still the right question, and now you have the answer :smile:
  5. May 30, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need that 0.51 MeV.Just that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?