Energy of Oscillation for a Small Line Segment

In summary, for a sinusoidal wave traveling along a string with given parameters, the total energy of oscillation for a length segment of 1 cm is 2.42 x 10^-8 J. This can be calculated by integrating the kinetic and potential energy equations with respect to the given interval and using the energy per unit length equation.
lizzyb
Q: A sinusoidal wave of the form: [tex]y = A \sin{kx - \omega t}[/tex] is traveling along a string in the x direction, where A = 0.88 mm, k = 2 m^-1, omega = 25 rad/s, with x in meters and t in seconds. For this string, the mass per unit length is given by mu = 0.01 kg/m.

For a length segment delta x = 1 cm along the string, what is the total energy of oscillation? Answer in units of J.

Comments:
First I tried [tex]E_\lambda = U_\lambda + K_\lambda = \frac{1}{2} \mu \omega^2 A^2 \lambda[/tex] but that was wrong so then I changed the lamda to delta x, and that was wrong as well. How do we compute the total energy of a small line segment? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The kinetic energy density is: [tex]\frac{dK}{dx}=\frac{1}{2}\mu(\frac{dy}{dt})^2 [/tex]and the potential energy density is [tex]\frac{dU}{dx}=\frac{1}{2}T(\frac{dy}{dt})^2[/tex]

where T is the tension in the string, [tex]T=\mu \omega^2[/tex]

The energy density is the energy per unit length on the string. To find the energy for a particular interval you have to integrate the equations using the interval bounds as limits.

so I have to take the derivitive of the wave function with respect to t, put it into the equation, then integrate over the range of x?

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = -A \omega \cos(\omega t - k x)[/tex]

So [tex]\frac{dK}{dx}=\frac{1}{2}\mu(\frac{dy}{dt})^2 = \frac{1}{2}\mu(-A \omega \cos(\omega t - k x))^2[/tex]

and then I integrate it from 0 to .01 meters?

[tex]K = \int_0^{.01} \frac{1}{2}\mu(-A \omega \cos(\omega t - k x))^2 dx[/tex]

t is unaccounted for? Thank you for your help.

lizzyb said:
so I have to take the derivitive of the wave function with respect to t, put it into the equation, then integrate over the range of x?

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = -A \omega \cos(\omega t - k x)[/tex]

So [tex]\frac{dK}{dx}=\frac{1}{2}\mu(\frac{dy}{dt})^2 = \frac{1}{2}\mu(-A \omega \cos(\omega t - k x))^2[/tex]

and then I integrate it from 0 to .01 meters?

[tex]K = \int_0^{.01} \frac{1}{2}\mu(-A \omega \cos(\omega t - k x))^2 dx[/tex]

t is unaccounted for? Thank you for your help.
This is more of an intuitive observation that needs to be verified. Time will take care of itself if you look at both the kinetic and potential energy of the length interval. The equation you tried in your first post I am assuming is the energy of one wavelength of the string. If that is the case, and you can calculate the wavelength, you should be able to find the energy of any other length with a simple ratio of length to wavelength. The rationale behind that is that each bit of mass dm that is vibrating is a harmonic oscillator with amplitude A and the same k, so each little dm must have the same total energy as any other dm.

ok, so [tex]E_\lambda = U_\lambda + K_\lambda - \frac{1}{2}\mu\omega^2A^2\lamda[/tex]
From the problem we have: [tex]A = .00088 "m", k = \frac{"2"}{"m"}, \omega = 25 \frac{"rad"}{"s"}, \mu = .01 \frac{"kg"}{"m"} "and" \lambda = \frac{2\pi}{k} = \pi "m"[/tex]
Thus [tex]E_\lambda = \frac{1}{2} \cdot .01 \frac{"kg"}{"m"} \cdot (25 \frac{"rad"}{"s"})^2 \cdot (.00088 "m")^2 (\pi "m") = 7.6027 \times 10^{-6}[/tex]
but that's for the entire wavelength, hence for the length segment [tex]\Delta x = 1 "cm"[/tex] we have [tex]E_{.01} = \frac{.01}{\lambda} E_\lambda = \frac{.01}{\pi}E_\lambda = .003183 \cdot 7.6027 \times 10^{-6} = 2.42 \times 10^{-8}[/tex]

does that look ok to you?

Last edited:
lizzyb said:
ok, so [tex]E_\lambda = U_\lambda + K_\lambda - \frac{1}{2}\mu\omega^2A^2\lamda[/tex]
From the problem we have: [tex]A = .00088 "m", k = \frac{"2"}{"m"}, \omega = 25 \frac{"rad"}{"s"}, \mu = .01 \frac{"kg"}{"m"} "and" \lambda = \frac{2\pi}{k} = \pi "m"[/tex]
Thus [tex]E_\lambda = \frac{1}{2} \cdot .01 \frac{"kg"}{"m"} \cdot (25 \frac{"rad"}{"s"})^2 \cdot (.00088 "m")^2 (\pi "m") = 7.6027 \times 10^{-6}[/tex]
but that's for the entire wavelength, hence for the length segment [tex]\Delta x = 1 "cm"[/tex] we have [tex]E_{.01} = \frac{.01}{\lambda} E_\lambda = \frac{.01}{\pi}E_\lambda = .003183 \cdot 7.6027 \times 10^{-6} = 2.42 \times 10^{-8}[/tex]

does that look ok to you?
Looks OK to me. You have a typo problem with the equation in this post, but if you look at the equation for the energy for one full wavelength, then you can see that everyting multiplying the λ is the energy per unit length. An equivalent calculation would be to just replace the λ in that equation by the 1cm length of interest.

[tex]E_\lambda = U_\lambda + K_\lambda = \frac{1}{2}\mu\omega^2A^2 \lambda[/tex]
So since I'm only interested in .01 meters, I can do this:
[tex]E_{.01} = \frac{1}{2} \cdot \mu \cdot \omega^2 \cdot A^2 \cdot .01 = 2.42 \times 10^{-8}[/tex]
which is the same answer; that answer was accepted by the homework server! thanx! i thought i tried that early on. Thank you.

What is the total energy of oscillation?

The total energy of oscillation is the sum of the kinetic and potential energy present in an oscillating system. It is a measure of the energy that is constantly being exchanged between these two forms as the system oscillates.

How is the total energy of oscillation calculated?

The total energy of oscillation can be calculated using the equation E = 1/2kA^2, where E is the total energy, k is the spring constant, and A is the amplitude of the oscillation.

What factors affect the total energy of oscillation?

The total energy of oscillation is affected by the mass of the oscillating object, the amplitude of the oscillation, and the stiffness of the system (determined by the spring constant).

What happens to the total energy of oscillation over time?

In a frictionless system, the total energy of oscillation remains constant over time. However, in a real-world system with friction, the total energy will decrease over time as energy is lost to heat and other forms of energy.

How does the total energy of oscillation relate to frequency and period?

The total energy of oscillation is not directly related to frequency or period. However, a higher frequency or shorter period will result in more oscillations per unit time, meaning more energy will be exchanged between kinetic and potential forms in the same amount of time.