What is the total energy required to heat the material to 80 degrees?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of total energy required and the applied effect to heat a material to a certain temperature. The individual asks for help in determining the time it takes to heat the material to 80 degrees, and shares their attempt at using WolframAlpha for the calculation.
Dafe
Hi,

a question at work popped up and it's been too long since I went to school :p

The total energy [Wh] required to heat the system to temperature T is given by f(T)=1.28T. The effect [W] applied to the system is given by g(T)=378-3.16T. How long does it take to heat the material to say 80 degrees?

Hope someone can help me out, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's my try. I'm using wolframalpha for the differentiation and integration...

[tex]
\frac{dh}{dT}=\frac{d}{dT}\left(\frac{f(T)}{g(T)}\right)
[/tex]

[tex] =\frac{d}{dT}\left(\frac{1.28T}{378-3.16T}\right) [/tex]

[tex]=\frac{4.04T}{(378-3.16T)^2}+\frac{1.28}{378-3.16T} [/tex]

So now I have the change in time required to heat up the material as a function of temperature. I integrate to get the time required:

[tex] h(T)=\frac{153.1}{378-3.16T} [/tex]

Meh, at least it's an attempt :p

1. What is total energy required?

Total energy required refers to the amount of energy needed to complete a specific task or process. It takes into account all forms of energy, such as kinetic, potential, thermal, and chemical energy.

2. How is total energy required calculated?

Total energy required is calculated by adding up the energy required for each step of a process. This can be done using mathematical equations or through experimental measurements.

3. What factors affect the total energy required for a process?

The total energy required for a process can be affected by various factors such as the efficiency of the process, the amount of work being done, the properties of the materials involved, and external factors like temperature and pressure.

4. Why is it important to consider total energy required in scientific experiments?

Considering total energy required in scientific experiments is important because it allows for a more accurate understanding of the energy involved in a process. This can help in optimizing the process and predicting any potential issues that may arise.

5. How can total energy required be reduced?

Total energy required can be reduced by improving the efficiency of a process, using alternative energy sources, or finding ways to minimize the amount of work or energy needed to complete a task. This can lead to cost savings and a more sustainable use of energy.