Total Energy w/ Magnetic Field

In summary, To determine the total energy stored in the magnetic field outside a sphere of radius R, we can use the energy density equation u = B^2/(2*u0) and the total energy formula E = u * volume. By integrating the energy density over volume from r=R to r = \infty, we can find the total energy stored as E = \int_R^{\infty} U dV = \int_R^{\infty} U 4\pi r^2 dr. Plugging in the given magnitude of the magnetic field B = B0 (R/r)^2, we can solve for the total energy as 2*pi*B0^2*R^3/(u0). This can also
jesuslovesu

Homework Statement

Assume that the magnitude of the magnetic field outside a sphere of radius R is B = B0 (R/r)^2. Determine the total energy stored in the magnetic field outside the sphere.

Homework Equations

I think it's necessary to use the energy density equation.
u = B^2/(2*u0)

total energy = u * volume.

The Attempt at a Solution

By just plugging in the given data, I come up with (2*pi*B0^2*R^3)/(u0*3). Assuming that r = R. Or 2*pi*B0^2*R^4/(3r*u0) if I don't assume that. My book's answer is similar except that the 3 in the denom. is not there. So I think I need to use calculus but I don't quite see how to set it up...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jesuslovesu said:

Homework Statement

Assume that the magnitude of the magnetic field outside a sphere of radius R is B = B0 (R/r)^2. Determine the total energy stored in the magnetic field outside the sphere.

Homework Equations

I think it's necessary to use the energy density equation.
u = B^2/(2*u0)

total energy = u * volume.

The Attempt at a Solution

By just plugging in the given data, I come up with (2*pi*B0^2*R^3)/(u0*3). Assuming that r = R. Or 2*pi*B0^2*R^4/(3r*u0) if I don't assume that. My book's answer is similar except that the 3 in the denom. is not there. So I think I need to use calculus but I don't quite see how to set it up...
I don't understand your statement "Assuming that r = R". r is the distance from the centre. R is the radius of the sphere.

You have to integrate the energy density over volume from r=R to [itex]r = \infty[/itex]. All you have to know is that [itex]dV = 4\pi r^2 dr[/itex]

So:

[tex]E = \int_R^{\infty} U dV = \int_R^{\infty} U 4\pi r^2 dr [/tex]

where

[tex]U = \frac{B^2}{2\mu_0}[/tex] and

[tex]B = B_0\frac{R^2}{r^2}[/tex]

You should end up with U as a function of 1/r^2.

The answer I get is:

[tex]E = 2\pi B_0^2R^3/\mu_0[/tex]

AM

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of energy stored in a magnetic field. The energy density equation, u = B^2/(2*u0), tells us that the energy stored in a magnetic field is directly proportional to the square of the magnetic field strength. This means that as the magnetic field increases, so does the energy stored in it.

Next, I would consider the given equation for the magnetic field outside the sphere, B = B0 (R/r)^2. This tells us that the magnetic field strength decreases as we move further away from the sphere, with r being the distance from the center of the sphere. This makes sense intuitively, as the magnetic field is strongest closer to the source (the sphere).

To find the total energy stored in the magnetic field outside the sphere, we can use the concept of energy density and integrate it over the volume outside the sphere. This can be expressed as:

Total energy = ∫ u dV

Since we are only interested in the energy outside the sphere, we can limit our integration to the volume outside the sphere, which can be expressed as:

V = 4/3 * π * (r^3 - R^3)

Substituting this into the integral, we get:

Total energy = ∫ u dV = ∫ u * 4/3 * π * (r^3 - R^3) dr

Now, we can substitute the given equation for the magnetic field, B = B0 (R/r)^2, into the energy density equation to get:

u = B^2/(2*u0) = (B0^2 * (R/r)^4)/(2*u0)

Substituting this into the integral, we get:

Total energy = ∫ u dV = ∫ (B0^2 * (R/r)^4)/(2*u0) * 4/3 * π * (r^3 - R^3) dr

This integral can be evaluated using standard techniques, and the result is:

Total energy = (2/3) * π * B0^2 * R^4 / u0

This matches with your attempt at a solution, but the 3 in the denominator is not necessary as it cancels out with the 3 in the numerator. Therefore, the final expression for the total energy stored in the magnetic field outside the sphere is:

Total energy = (2/3

What is total energy with magnetic field?

Total energy with magnetic field refers to the sum of kinetic and potential energy in a system that also includes a magnetic field. This type of energy is important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in the presence of a magnetic field.

How is total energy with magnetic field calculated?

The total energy with magnetic field can be calculated using the formula E = K + U + B, where E is the total energy, K is the kinetic energy, U is the potential energy, and B is the magnetic energy. This formula takes into account the effects of both the magnetic field and the motion of the charged particles in the system.

What is the relationship between total energy and magnetic field strength?

The strength of the magnetic field can affect the total energy in a system. As the magnetic field strength increases, the total energy also increases. This is because the magnetic field can do work on charged particles, increasing their kinetic energy and thus the total energy of the system.

In what situations is total energy with magnetic field important?

Total energy with magnetic field is important in various situations, including in particle accelerators, fusion reactors, and space weather. It helps scientists understand the behavior of charged particles in these systems and how they interact with the magnetic field.

How does total energy with magnetic field impact technology and everyday life?

Total energy with magnetic field has various applications in technology and everyday life. It is used in medical imaging, such as MRI machines, and in the development of new energy sources, such as fusion power. It also plays a role in space exploration and understanding the Earth's magnetic field and its impacts on our planet.