Energy Needed to Move a Satellite to Earth's Orbit

In summary, a satellite of mass 500kg needs 158,000 Joules of energy to be moved to an orbit of height equal to Earth's radius.
max0005

Homework Statement

Determine how much energy is needed to move a satellite of mass 500kg to an orbit of height equal to Earth's radius.

Homework Equations

Gravitational Potential:

[tex]V = \frac{-GMm}{R}[/tex]

Where M is the mass of Earth (6*10^24kg), m is the mass of the satellite (500kg) and R is the distance from the center of earth.

The Attempt at a Solution

The energy I need is equal to the difference between orbital and surface potential.

Surface Potential:

[tex]V = \frac{-6.67*10^-11*6*1024*500}{6300}[/tex]

I obtain a value of about -3.17*10^12.

Orbital Potential:

[[tex]V = \frac{-6.67*10^(-11)*6*10^(24)*500}{2*6300}[/tex]

I obtain a value of about -1.59*10^12.

I now subtract the two values: (-3.17*10^12)-(-1.59*10^12) to obtain -1.58*10^11 J or
-158,000MJ... The problem is that my textbook gives as an answer -16,000MJ. Disregarding the difference between 1.58 and 1.6, which is surely due to my approximations, why am I getting a result ten times bigger?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi max0005! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

you need to get it up there and to give it a shove so that it stays in orbit! :wink:

(and wouldn't it be easier to use g = 9.8 instead of G ?)

Hi,

in this case G is the universal constant -6.67*10^-11.

In this part of the problem I'm considering only the energy needed to bring it up there, the second part asks me to calculate the total energy (included kinetic energy to have it orbit), but I'm not there yet. :)

PS: Sorry about that, I'll go and fix the powers!

Your radius should be in m, not km.

max0005 said:
in this case G is the universal constant -6.67*10^-11.

still easier to use g :smile:

then you don't need to look up the mass of the Earth or its radius …

nor risk mistakes in multiplying them! :wink:

Kikora said:
Your radius should be in m, not km.

Even though all my other lengths are expressed in km?

Ignore this, my bad! :S

tiny-tim said:
still easier to use g :smile:

then you don't need to look up the mass of the Earth or its radius …

Ok, I got lost here... :(

Last edited:
max0005 said:
Ok, I got lost here... :(
I think he is asking you to use the easier(approximation) form of gravitational potential energy equation. (the one that involves g)

Like mgh? I can't use it, apart from the variation in g as r tends to infinity, I'm being graded on it for using the "extended" formula... Kikora I've tried converting 6300km to 6.3*10^6m but I get as a final result -1.6*10^9... Is it a computation mistake (As I hope it is, after 3 hours of this) or is there some other kind of problem in my reasoning?

I think you made a computation mistake. Because, i got the answer just fine after substituting all the values. -1.6X10^10 J

Ok, I get the same result as well, thanks! :D :D

What is the energy needed to move a satellite to Earth's orbit?

The energy needed to move a satellite to Earth's orbit depends on several factors such as the mass of the satellite, the distance between the satellite and Earth, and the type of propulsion system used. In general, it takes a large amount of energy to overcome the Earth's gravitational pull and place a satellite into orbit.

How is the energy needed to move a satellite to Earth's orbit calculated?

The energy needed to move a satellite to Earth's orbit can be calculated using the formula E = GMm/r, where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of Earth, m is the mass of the satellite, and r is the distance between the satellite and Earth's center. This formula takes into account the gravitational potential energy required to lift the satellite to its orbit.

What are the different types of propulsion systems used to move satellites to Earth's orbit?

There are several types of propulsion systems used to move satellites to Earth's orbit, including chemical rockets, ion thrusters, solar sails, and nuclear propulsion. Each of these systems has its own advantages and disadvantages in terms of energy efficiency, speed, and cost.

How does the energy needed to move a satellite to Earth's orbit compare to other forms of energy consumption?

The energy needed to move a satellite to Earth's orbit is significantly higher than most other forms of energy consumption. For example, the energy required to launch a typical satellite is equivalent to the energy consumed by a small city in a day. However, the energy used to move a satellite to Earth's orbit is a one-time cost, whereas other forms of energy consumption are ongoing.

What are some ways to reduce the energy needed to move a satellite to Earth's orbit?

There are several ways to reduce the energy needed to move a satellite to Earth's orbit, such as using more efficient propulsion systems, optimizing the trajectory of the satellite, and using gravitational assists from other planets. Additionally, advancements in technology and materials may also lead to more energy-efficient methods in the future.