1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total internal reflection

1. Mar 23, 2004 #1

phy

ok, i need help with this one question. the diagram that goes with this question is at the following website: http://courseweb.edteched.uottawa.c...lems/PHY1102A-Assignment 4_files/image005.jpg

i tried attaching it but it was too big. ok so here it is:
    A ray of light falls on a rectangular glass block (n = 1.5) that is almost completely submerged in water (n = 1.33) as shown in the figure above. (a) Find the angle theta for which total internal reflection just occurs at point P. (b) Would total internal reflection occur at point P for the value of theta found in (a) if the water were removed? Explain.

for part a), i used the equation sin (theta) = n2/n1 and said that n2=1.33 and n1=1.5. this gave me a value for theta being 62degrees. is that it or is there more? thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2004 #2
    There's more.

1. You didn't finish part (a). You found the value for [tex]\theta_1[/tex], not [tex]\theta[/tex] (see drawing).

2. You didn't give any answer to part (b).

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?