1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total Kinetic Energy

1. Nov 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Biomedical measurements show that the arms and hands together typically make up 13.0 % of a person's mass, while the legs and feet together account for 37.0 %. For a rough (but reasonable) calculation, we can model the arms and legs as thin uniform bars pivoting about the shoulder and hip, respectively. Let us consider a 72.0 kg person having arms 65.0 cm long and legs 90.0 cm long. The person is running at 12.0 km/h, with his arms and legs each swinging through 30 decrees }. Assume that the arms and legs are kept straight.

What is the total kinetic energy due to both his forward motion and his rotation?

2. Relevant equations

0.5 m v^2 =KE

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is for online hw. The problem is that no matter how i do the sig figs for this problem, i still get it wrong.

After converting the 12 km/h the proper sig figs indicated a m/s value of 3 m/s. by plugging that into the equation i get 72kg*9m/s *0.5=300j but if i do it like this 72 kg*3.333^2 *0.5=400 but the 300 j answer is wrong but the 400 j answer is wrong but due to sig figs or rounding. Can somebody help me and tell me what is wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are two problems I see here.

1. You haven't included the kinetic energy due to rotation of the arms and legs.

2. "12 km/h" has two sig figs, so the conversion to m/s should also have two sig figs, i.e. 3.3 m/s, not 3 m/s. And the final answer would have two sig figs, since the mass "72 kg" also has two sig figs.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?