Total Length of the spring

• Thread starter jakeginobi
  • Start date
jakeginobi

Homework Statement

If I found how much it stretches, do I just add it to the original length I started with to find total new length?
For instance, the original length was 1.168m and I found x to be 0.90m, do I just add them together for the total length?

Homework Equations

F=kx

The Attempt at a Solution

1.168m + 0.90m

Answers and Replies

Homework Statement

If I found how much it stretches, do I just add it to the original length I started with to find total new length?
For instance, the original length was 1.168m and I found x to be 0.90m, do I just add them together for the total length?

Homework Equations

F=kx

The Attempt at a Solution

1.168m + 0.90m

Your post is vague; you should post the entire question to help people help you. Not exactly sure what you are trying to solve for here. From what you have, all I can say is that you should keep in mind that the x in Hooke's law is the change from the initial position of the spring to the final position.

jakeginobi
I have to find the total stretched length

I have to find the total stretched length

The total stretched length when? Is there a force acting upon the spring?
But to answer your question more directly, if you are correctly solving for x (which I cannot confirm without the problem info), then that is the change in x. Adding the initial x position and the change in x will give you the final x position or "total length" I assume.
Δx = xf - xi......so Δx + xi = xf

For the linear relation f=kx it is referring to displacement. I agree it's not to clear what you mean by total length of the spring, or displacement of the spring. In theory you could "uncoil" the spring to a straight wire with no curvature and directly measure the total length of the spring or come up with some mathematical relation for length of spring to calculate it. But I think you are referring to talking about displacement and not total length of the spring.