Total Length of a Stretched Spring: How Do I Calculate It?

The displacement is the distance between the initial position of the spring and the position after the force has been applied. This is the change in length due to the force acting upon the spring. So yes, you would add the initial length to the change in length to get the final length or displacement of the spring.In summary, for the given problem, the total stretched length of the spring can be found by adding the initial length to the change in length, which is represented by the value of x in Hooke's law.
jakeginobi

Homework Statement

If I found how much it stretches, do I just add it to the original length I started with to find total new length?
For instance, the original length was 1.168m and I found x to be 0.90m, do I just add them together for the total length?

Homework Equations

F=kx

The Attempt at a Solution

1.168m + 0.90m

Physics news on Phys.org
jakeginobi said:

Homework Statement

If I found how much it stretches, do I just add it to the original length I started with to find total new length?
For instance, the original length was 1.168m and I found x to be 0.90m, do I just add them together for the total length?

Homework Equations

F=kx

The Attempt at a Solution

1.168m + 0.90m

Your post is vague; you should post the entire question to help people help you. Not exactly sure what you are trying to solve for here. From what you have, all I can say is that you should keep in mind that the x in Hooke's law is the change from the initial position of the spring to the final position.

I have to find the total stretched length

jakeginobi said:
I have to find the total stretched length

The total stretched length when? Is there a force acting upon the spring?
But to answer your question more directly, if you are correctly solving for x (which I cannot confirm without the problem info), then that is the change in x. Adding the initial x position and the change in x will give you the final x position or "total length" I assume.
Δx = xf - xi...so Δx + xi = xf

For the linear relation f=kx it is referring to displacement. I agree it's not to clear what you mean by total length of the spring, or displacement of the spring. In theory you could "uncoil" the spring to a straight wire with no curvature and directly measure the total length of the spring or come up with some mathematical relation for length of spring to calculate it. But I think you are referring to talking about displacement and not total length of the spring.

What is the total length of the spring?

The total length of a spring is the distance from one end of the spring to the other when it is not under any external force or load.

How is the total length of the spring measured?

The total length of a spring can be measured by using a ruler or tape measure to determine the distance between the two ends of the spring.

What factors affect the total length of the spring?

The total length of a spring can be affected by various factors such as the material, diameter, number of coils, and the amount of force applied to the spring.

Why is the total length of the spring important?

The total length of a spring is important because it determines the amount of force that can be exerted on the spring and its functionality in different applications.

Can the total length of a spring be changed?

Yes, the total length of a spring can be changed by applying a force to compress or stretch the spring. This is known as the spring's elastic potential energy and follows Hooke's Law.