1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total Length of the spring

1. Mar 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If I found how much it stretches, do I just add it to the original length I started with to find total new length?
    For instance, the original length was 1.168m and I found x to be 0.90m, do I just add them together for the total length?

2. Relevant equations
    F=kx

3. The attempt at a solution
    1.168m + 0.90m

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2016 #2
    Your post is vague; you should post the entire question to help people help you. Not exactly sure what you are trying to solve for here. From what you have, all I can say is that you should keep in mind that the x in Hooke's law is the change from the initial position of the spring to the final position.

4. Mar 2, 2016 #3
    I have to find the total stretched length

5. Mar 2, 2016 #4
    The total stretched length when? Is there a force acting upon the spring?
    But to answer your question more directly, if you are correctly solving for x (which I cannot confirm without the problem info), then that is the change in x. Adding the initial x position and the change in x will give you the final x position or "total length" I assume.
    Δx = xf - xi......so Δx + xi = xf

6. Mar 2, 2016 #5
    For the linear relation f=kx it is referring to displacement. I agree it's not to clear what you mean by total length of the spring, or displacement of the spring. In theory you could "uncoil" the spring to a straight wire with no curvature and directly measure the total length of the spring or come up with some mathematical relation for length of spring to calculate it. But I think you are referring to talking about displacement and not total length of the spring.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted