Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total Lighting Load & Current

1. Aug 16, 2013 #1
    It's been a while since I had my last circuits class, so I'm just looking for some verification on my calculations. I have a series of lights that I want to combine to 1 circuit (if possible).

Each light fixture has 2 bulbs, and I have a total of 12 fixtures, meaning 24 bulbs. I am using 32W fluorescent light bulbs. To find the total load I multiply the 32W per bulb by 24 (# of bulbs) and get 768W. Now I want to find the current, so I divide the power by voltage. 768W/120V=6.4 Amps.

The lights will be running on a 20A breaker, and code allows me to load the break to 0.8*Rating. 0.8*20=16A. So the 6.4 Amps that I will be pulling, will be safely less than the 16A I should not exceed. Does that sound right, or is there something I'm forgetting?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Since they are flourescent lamps, do you know what their startup current is? That may end up giving you a higher peak/initial current.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook