Total luminosity of a galactic disk

R}{h_R}) dRThe first term evaluates to 0, leaving us with:L_D = L_0 \pi h_R \int_{0}^{\infty} R^2 \exp(\frac{-R}{h_R}) dRTo solve this integral, we can use integration by parts again. Let u = R^2 and dv = \exp(\frac{-R}{h_R}) dR. This gives us du = 2R dR and v = -h_R \exp(\frac{-R}{h_R}). Substituting these into the integral, we get:L_D = L_0 \pi h_R \left[ -R^2 \exp
quarky2001
This is basically problem 2.8 from Sparke & Gallagher "Galaxies in the universe".

There's only one area I'm having trouble with.

I've solved the surface density for stars in the galactic disk (# stars per unit area) as

[tex]
\Sigma(R)=2\exp(\frac{-R}{h_R})h_R
[/tex]

Now, with L_0 being the luminosity of one star, and knowing that the surface brightness (luminosity per unit area) is

[tex]
I(R)=L_0 \Sigma(R)
[/tex]

I'm supposed to find the luminosity of the entire disk. Likely by integrating, and the answer that's supposed to come out is

[tex]
L_D=2\pi I(R=0) {h_R}^2
[/tex]

I keep getting factors showing up that don't belong in the answer though.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for sharing your progress and question with us. It seems like you have made good progress in solving the surface density for stars in the galactic disk. However, you are correct in thinking that you need to integrate to find the total luminosity of the disk. Let me walk you through the steps to get to the correct answer.

First, let's define some variables for clarity:
- \Sigma(R) = surface density of stars in the galactic disk (in units of # stars per unit area)
- L_0 = luminosity of one star
- I(R) = surface brightness (luminosity per unit area)
- L_D = total luminosity of the galactic disk

To find the total luminosity of the disk, we need to integrate the surface brightness over the entire disk. This can be done using the following equation:

L_D = \int_{0}^{\infty} I(R) 2\pi R dR

Using the equation you provided for the surface brightness, we can substitute in I(R) and solve the integral:

L_D = \int_{0}^{\infty} L_0 \Sigma(R) 2\pi R dR
L_D = L_0 2\pi \int_{0}^{\infty} \Sigma(R) R dR

Next, we can substitute in the equation for surface density that you have already solved:

L_D = L_0 2\pi \int_{0}^{\infty} 2\exp(\frac{-R}{h_R})h_R R dR

To solve this integral, we can use integration by parts. Let u = 2\exp(\frac{-R}{h_R}) and dv = h_R R dR. This gives us du = -\frac{2}{h_R}\exp(\frac{-R}{h_R}) dR and v = \frac{1}{2}h_R R^2. Substituting these into the integral, we get:

L_D = L_0 2\pi \left[ -\frac{1}{2}h_R R^2 \exp(\frac{-R}{h_R}) \right]_{0}^{\infty} + \frac{1}{2}h_R \int_{0}^{\infty} R^2 \frac{2}{h_R}\exp

What is the total luminosity of a galactic disk?

The total luminosity of a galactic disk refers to the total amount of light emitted by all of the stars in a galaxy's disk. It is a measure of the overall brightness of the galaxy.

How is the total luminosity of a galactic disk calculated?

The total luminosity of a galactic disk is calculated by summing up the individual luminosities of all the stars in the disk. This can be done by measuring the brightness of each star and then using a mathematical formula to add them together.

What factors affect the total luminosity of a galactic disk?

The total luminosity of a galactic disk is affected by the number of stars in the disk, their individual luminosities, and their distribution throughout the disk. Other factors such as the age and type of stars can also play a role.

Why is the total luminosity of a galactic disk important in astronomy?

The total luminosity of a galactic disk is important in astronomy because it provides valuable information about the size, structure, and composition of a galaxy. It can also help us understand the evolution and dynamics of galaxies.

How do scientists measure the total luminosity of a galactic disk?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to measure the total luminosity of a galactic disk, including optical and infrared observations, as well as using data from different wavelengths of light. They also take into account the effects of dust and other factors that may obscure the true luminosity of the disk.