1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total Mass; Triple Integrals

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A lamina occupies the part of the disk x^2 + y^2 ≤ 16 in the first quadrant and the density at each point is given by the function ρ(x,y) = 2(x^2+y^2) .

What is the total mass? Where is the center of mass? (Once I solve total mass I can solve the center by myself.)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Total Mass:

I thought it might be easier to solve if I translate this into cylindrical coordinates, so therefore {0≤ r≤ 4, 0≤theta≤ pi/2, 0≤ z≤ 16-r^2}.

I solved this through triple integrals in the order of (rdzdthetadr) and ended up with an answer of (1024/3)*pi, but I'm being told this is incorrect.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This seems more like a 2D problem than a 3D problem to me...why are you saying that z goes from zero to 16-r^2?:confused:

4. Nov 9, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, this problem is two dimensional. There is no "z". Just use polar coordinates!

5. Nov 9, 2008 #4
    Thanks. I debated on doing it only in 2-D, but turned the idea down. Thanks for clearing that up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?