Total ordered pairs (n,r)

• Thread starter juantheron
  • Start date
In summary, to calculate the total number of positive integer ordered pairs (n,r) that satisfy the equation $\displaystyle \binom{n}{r} = 120$, we can first solve for r=2 and find that (16,2) is a solution. Then, we can solve for r=3, 4, 5, etc. and use the knowledge that n must be less than 16 to narrow down our choices. Eventually, we will find that there are no more solutions and we have determined all of the positive integer ordered pairs that satisfy the given equation.
juantheron
Calculation of Total no. of positive integer ordered pairs ##(n,r)## in ##\displaystyle \binom{n}{r} = 120##

My Solution:: Clearly ##\displaystyle \binom{n}{r} = 120 \Rightarrow \binom{120}{1} = \binom{120}{119} = 120##

So ##(n,r) = (120,1)\;\;,(120,119)## are positive integer ordered pairs which satisfy the given equation.

Now we will calculate for other positive integer ordered pairs whether it is exists or not.

So ##\displaystyle \binom{n}{r} = \frac{n!}{r! \cdot (n-r)!} = 2^3 \times 3 \times 5\Rightarrow \frac{n!}{r! .\cdot (n-r)! \cdot 5} = 2^3 \cdot 3##

So Largest prime factors of ##120## is ##5##. So ##\displaystyle n\geq 5##

Now for ##r##. Here ## 1 \leq r < 119## and ##r \leq \frac{n}{2}##

So my Question is How can I calculate other positive ordered pairs.

So please help me

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to start by asking if r=2, what can n be?

To Office_Shredder would you like to explain me in Detail

Thanks

Can you find n such that
[tex] {n \choose 2} = 120[/tex]?

It's a simple quadratic equation when you write it out, it shouldn't be too hard to do.

To Office_Shredder

##\displaystyle \binom{n}{2}= 120\Rightarrow \frac{n.(n-1)}{2} = 120\Rightarrow n^2-n-240 = 0##

after solving we get ## n = -15## and ##n = 16##

So we can say ##\displaystyle \binom{n}{r} = 120## is satisfies for ##(16,2)##

Now How can I calculate other ordered pairs

and can we restrict positive integer value of ##n## and ##r##

Thanks

OK, now can you solve it for r=3? It's a little harder (it's a cubic, so you probably want to take out a calculator and try a bunch of values - note that it will be for some value n smaller than 16!). How about r=4, r=5 etc.?

Thanks Office_Shredder I did not understand how can i solve for cubic equation.

For r=3 you want to solve
[tex] {n \choose 3} = 120 [/tex]
which becomes
[tex] \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{3!} = 120 [/tex]
equivalently,
[tex] n(n-1)(n-2) = 720 [/tex]

Based on the r=2 case any solution of n has to be less than 16 (why?), so just take out a calculator and try n=1, n=2, etc. through n=15 and see if there are any possibilities (or factor 720 and see if you can write it as n(n-1)(n-2) for some n)

Then you can similarly solve
[tex] {n \choose 4} = 120 [/tex]
and
[tex] {n \choose 5} = 120 [/tex]
and at some point your choices for n will be small enough that you will be able to conclude that there are no more solutions to be found (think about why this is, it's similar to the reason why for r=3 I know I can exclude n > 15)

1. What is the formula for calculating the total number of ordered pairs (n,r)?

The formula for calculating the total number of ordered pairs (n,r) is n! / (n-r)!, where n is the total number of elements and r is the number of elements in each pair.

2. How is the concept of total ordered pairs relevant in mathematics?

Total ordered pairs is relevant in mathematics because it helps us determine the number of ways in which a set of elements can be arranged or ordered. This concept is used in various fields of mathematics, including probability, combinatorics, and algebra.

3. Can you provide an example of calculating the total number of ordered pairs?

Sure, let's say we have a set of 5 letters {A, B, C, D, E}. If we want to find the total number of ordered pairs with 3 elements, we would use the formula 5! / (5-3)! = 5! / 2! = (5x4x3) / 2 = 60 ordered pairs.

4. How does the value of r affect the total number of ordered pairs?

The value of r directly affects the total number of ordered pairs. As r increases, the total number of ordered pairs also increases. This is because with a larger r, we are selecting more elements from the set to create the pairs, resulting in a larger number of possible combinations.

5. Is there a difference between ordered pairs and unordered pairs?

Yes, there is a difference between ordered pairs and unordered pairs. In ordered pairs, the order of the elements matters, while in unordered pairs, the order does not matter. For example, {A, B} and {B, A} are considered different ordered pairs, but the same unordered pair.