How Is Total Power Calculated in AC Circuits?

In summary, the given equations are for voltage (V) and current (i) and the solution involves calculating the total power (P_TOT) using the equation \sum_{n=1}^{n=m} \frac {V_nI_ncos\phi_n} 2. However, the solution does not explicitly show the use of this equation and instead uses the trigonometric identity cos(a-b)=cos(a)cos(b)+sin(a)sin(b). This reference may provide more clarity on the calculation of average power in AC circuits.
Simon.T
Ok guys this one is straight out of a textbook, (Tooley, M. and Dingle, L. (2008) Higher National Engineering, 2nd ed. Oxford: Elsevier, p.353.)

Homework Statement

[tex]v=50sin(\omega t)+10sin(3\omega t + \pi /2)[/tex]
[tex]i=3.54sin(\omega t + \pi /4) + 0.316sin(3\omega t +0.321)[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{n=m} \frac {V_nI_ncos\phi_n} 2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution given is
[tex]P_{TOT} =\frac {50\times 3.54} 2 cos(-\pi /4) + \frac {10\times 0.316} 2 cos(\pi /2 - 0.321)[/tex]

I don't understand how the solution in part 3 relates to the equation in part 2. The solution implies [tex]cos(a-b) = sin(wt + \phi_1)\times sin(wt+\phi_2) [/tex] but I cannot find this written anywhere apart from here

[tex]cos(a-b)=cos(a)cos(b)+sin(a)sin(b)[/tex] So we are just ignoring the cos terms?

I'm really quite tired so I am sorry if this seems like a stupid question, I swear this textbook is useless.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

What is total power in an AC circuit?

Total power in an AC circuit is the combination of active power (measured in watts) and reactive power (measured in volt-amperes reactive or VARs). It represents the overall energy consumption in the circuit and takes into account the effects of both resistive and reactive components.

How is total power calculated in an AC circuit?

Total power is calculated using the formula P = √(Pactive2 + Preactive2), where Pactive is the active power and Preactive is the reactive power. This formula is known as the Pythagorean theorem for power.

What is the difference between total power and apparent power in an AC circuit?

Total power, as mentioned before, takes into account both active and reactive power. Apparent power, on the other hand, only considers the magnitude of the voltage and current in the circuit, without factoring in their phase difference. Apparent power is measured in volt-amperes (VA).

Why is it important to consider reactive power in an AC circuit?

Reactive power is important because it represents the energy that is stored and released by inductive and capacitive elements in the circuit. This energy is not consumed, but it affects the overall power consumption and efficiency of the circuit. Neglecting reactive power can lead to inaccurate power measurements and potential problems in the circuit.

How can total power be controlled in an AC circuit?

Total power can be controlled by adjusting the reactive components in the circuit, such as inductors and capacitors, to reduce the reactive power and improve the power factor. This process is known as power factor correction and can help increase the efficiency and reliability of the circuit.