1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total Power output by Speaker

1. Jan 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A speaker emits sound waves in all directions, and at a distance of 28 m from it the intensity level is 73 db. What is the total power put out by the speaker, in watts? ( reference intensity [itex]I_{0}[/itex] is 1.0 × 10-12 W/m2.)

2. Relevant equations
    [itex] P= I*A [/itex]
    [itex]I = I_{0}*10^{B/10} [/itex]
    [itex]SA = 4*pi*r^{2} [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since we're looking for the total power of the speaker, I first used equation 2 to find the intensity, [itex]I[/itex]. For [itex] B = 73 db[/itex] and [itex]I_{0} = 10^{-12} W*m^{-2}[/itex] I obtained [itex] I = 2*10^{-5} W*m^{-2}[/itex] .

Then the area is [itex] A = 4*pi*(28)^{2} m^{2} = 9852.03 m^{2}[/itex]

Therefore, the total Power is
    [itex]P = I*A = 0.197 W[/itex]

So that's my attempt but I'm still not entirely confident in that answer. I'm not too sure if the Area equation I'm using is correct. It says in all directions hence why I used surface area but now I'm thinking it's [itex] A = pi*r^2[/itex].

Is that right? Or was the surface area equation the correct one to use?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You were correct in your original calculation. Is there a reason why you were thinking that maybe you should use the area of a circle rather than the surface area of a sphere?

4. Jan 19, 2015 #3
    I imagined the speaker on the ground, and then imagine the 'sphere' of sound in all directions. I didn't see it as a full sphere, so I thought the first equation wasn't right. Then I guessed it might just be a circle.

5. Jan 20, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. Does it make sense now?

6. Jan 20, 2015 #5
    Yes it does. Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted