1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total Resistance in this Circuit

1. May 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a network of resistors in a box-formation. There is 1 resistor of equal resistance in between every corner of the box, so 12 in total.

2. Relevant equations

In series R = r1 + r2 + ... ri
    In parallel, 1/R = 1/r1 + 1/r2 + ... 1/ri

3. The attempt at a solution

I can't really draw a 2D analogous network due to the connections. I know kirchhof's rules must be applied somehow... that no current will flow between two points of equal potential difference, but not sure where that would be.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2009 #2
    Just apply kirchhof law, that the sum of currents at node is zero. So first introduce some current in the circuit by applying a voltage source of 1 volt to make it easy. Then analyze every node to see how the currents are distributed in the branches.

4. May 24, 2009 #3
    first node brances to 3, each of those branch twice, 6 branches then converging on 3 nodes, which tnen go back to 1 node.

since all resistors are equal, can the 3 node to 3 node connection be just expressed as 3 parallel with 2 each? my reaction is to make each little group of 2 parallel, giving a total of 5/6 for the entire thing, but i dont know.

this is also then accounting for all of the resistors contributing. it looks to me like charge would flow through everything.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook