Total Resistance in this Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a network of resistors arranged in a box formation with 12 resistors in total. The equations for calculating resistance in series and parallel are mentioned, and Kirchhof's rules are suggested to be applied in analyzing the circuit. The suggestion is to introduce a voltage source and analyze the currents at each node. Questions are raised about the connection between three nodes and whether it can be expressed as three parallel connections with two resistors each. The conclusion is that all resistors will contribute and charge will flow through the entire circuit.
AROD

Homework Statement

I have a network of resistors in a box-formation. There is 1 resistor of equal resistance in between every corner of the box, so 12 in total.

Homework Equations

In series R = r1 + r2 + ... ri
In parallel, 1/R = 1/r1 + 1/r2 + ... 1/ri

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't really draw a 2D analogous network due to the connections. I know kirchhof's rules must be applied somehow... that no current will flow between two points of equal potential difference, but not sure where that would be.

Attachments

• KomplexSchaltung.jpg
    KomplexSchaltung.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
Just apply kirchhof law, that the sum of currents at node is zero. So first introduce some current in the circuit by applying a voltage source of 1 volt to make it easy. Then analyze every node to see how the currents are distributed in the branches.

first node brances to 3, each of those branch twice, 6 branches then converging on 3 nodes, which tnen go back to 1 node.

since all resistors are equal, can the 3 node to 3 node connection be just expressed as 3 parallel with 2 each? my reaction is to make each little group of 2 parallel, giving a total of 5/6 for the entire thing, but i don't know.

this is also then accounting for all of the resistors contributing. it looks to me like charge would flow through everything.

1. What is total resistance in a circuit?

Total resistance in a circuit refers to the overall resistance encountered by the flow of electrical current in the circuit. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is the sum of all individual resistances in the circuit.

2. How is total resistance calculated in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, total resistance is calculated by simply adding up the individual resistances in the circuit. This is because the current has to flow through each component in the circuit, resulting in a cumulative resistance.

3. How is total resistance calculated in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3... where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit. This is because in a parallel circuit, the current splits up and flows through each component separately, resulting in a decrease in overall resistance.

4. What factors affect total resistance in a circuit?

The main factors that affect total resistance in a circuit are the type of material used for the circuit components, their dimensions, and the temperature of the circuit. Conductive materials have lower resistance compared to insulating materials, while longer and thinner components have higher resistance. An increase in temperature can also increase the resistance of a circuit.

5. Why is knowing the total resistance important in circuit analysis?

Knowing the total resistance in a circuit is important because it helps in determining the amount of current flowing through the circuit. It also allows for the calculation of voltage and power in the circuit. Additionally, total resistance is crucial in ensuring that the circuit is functioning properly and can help identify any issues or malfunctions in the circuit.