1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total resistance

1. Dec 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11955&stc=1&d=1197437955

Find the equivalent resistance between points A and B shown in the link above

2. Relevant equations

for parallel, equivalent resistance is =1/R1 +1/R2 +1/R3.....
    equivavalent resistance for series is = R1 + R2 + R3

3. The attempt at a solution

i belive they are all parallel or R3, R4, R5, and R6 are series becouse they depend on each other

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2007 #2
    1/R= 1/1.5 + 1/2.5 + 1/4.3 +1/3.3 + 1/8.1 +1/6.3 =1.88
    r=.53 ohm. this is not correct. the back of my book says .838 and can someone tell me how they got that answer

4. Dec 12, 2007 #3

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First find the parallel resistance of R3, R4 and R5, call it maybe R'. Now you see that R1, R2 and the series combination (R'+R6) are in parallel. That will give you the answer.

5. May 25, 2009 #4
    when can you say that the voltage in the loop will be zero? not in this case?

6. May 25, 2009 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The voltage around any loop is zero, but that is not needed here. This problem can be solved using series and parallel rules for combining resistors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?