Total Resistance: Solving for 3ohm | Homework Help

In summary, total resistance is the overall opposition to the flow of electric current in a circuit, measured in ohms and influenced by the number and type of components. To solve for 3ohm in a circuit, use Ohm's Law. Knowing total resistance is important for calculating current and voltage in a circuit. Adding more resistors increases total resistance, with units such as ohms, milliohms, and kilohms commonly used for measurement.
foode

Homework Statement

Asking me for total resistance

The Attempt at a Solution

I added the one in parallel first which is (1/5 + 1/5)=2.5ohm

Then added 9ohm + 2ohm + 2.5ohm = 13.5ohm( which i think it is the total resistance)
but the right answer should be 3ohm.

Attachments

• un.jpg
    un.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 337
Physics news on Phys.org
problem solved
teehee

its 1/9 + 1/4.5 = 4.5/40.5 + 9/40.5 = 13.5/40.5

Therefore 40.5/13.5 = 3ohm

What is total resistance?

Total resistance is the overall opposition to the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is measured in ohms and is influenced by the number and type of components in the circuit.

How do you solve for 3ohm in a circuit?

To solve for 3ohm in a circuit, you need to use Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). In this case, you would plug in 3ohm for R and the given values for V and I to solve for the missing variable.

Why is it important to know total resistance in a circuit?

Knowing the total resistance in a circuit is important because it allows us to calculate the amount of current that will flow through the circuit, as well as the amount of voltage that will be dropped across each component. This information is crucial for designing and troubleshooting circuits.

How does adding more resistors affect total resistance?

When you add more resistors in a circuit, the total resistance increases. This is because resistors in a series add up to create a larger overall resistance, while resistors in parallel have a combined resistance that is lower than any individual resistor.

What are some common units for measuring resistance?

The most common unit for measuring resistance is ohms (Ω). However, smaller units such as milliohms (mΩ) and kilohms (kΩ) are also used. In some cases, larger units like megohms (MΩ) are used for high resistance values.