1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total Torque on triangle

1. Nov 12, 2006 #1
    [​IMG]

"Two forces [tex]F_1[/tex] and [tex]F_2[/tex] act along the two sides of an equilateral triangle as shown...Point O is the intersection of the altitudes of the triangle. Find a third force [tex]F_3[/tex] to be applied at B and along BC that will make the total torque zero about the point O."

So the sum of the torques = 0. I don't know what to do first. Should I put the forces into component form and take the tangential component of the forces??

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Unfortunately, I can't see the image, but putting the forces into components would be a good start.

4. Nov 12, 2006 #3
    Click on the image.

5. Nov 12, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

I don't have anything to click on, it's my computer, probably. Someone else will be able to give an exact reply to you. In the meantime, prepare some work to present.

6. Nov 12, 2006 #5
    I guess what I mean is, how do I determine what is perpendicular to the intersection (O)? Because I have to use the perpendicular force right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?