Calculating Translational Energy in a Nitrogen Gas Vessel

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the total translational kinetic energy and average kinetic energy per molecule of nitrogen gas in a 5L vessel at 27 degrees Celsius and 3 atm. The equations used are Etrans=3/2nRT and etrans=3/2NkT, with N being the number of nitrogen molecules and k being Boltzmann's constant. The process involves finding the mass of the gas using its density, then dividing by the mass of a single molecule to find N. The total translational energy is then calculated by multiplying 3/2 by N, k, and the temperature in Kelvin. The average kinetic energy per molecule is found by dividing the total energy by the number of molecules.
trah22

Homework Statement

a 5L verssel contains notrogen gas at 27 degrees celcius and 3 atm. Find a) total translational kinetic energy of gas molecules and b)average kinetic energy per molecule

Homework Equations

Etrans=3/2nRT and etrans=3/2NkT, N=6.022x10^23 n=mass/molarmass,
R=.0821

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a)3/2(not sure how to get n)(3(.0821)(300)

i multiplied .0821 by 3 because the pressure in the question is 3 atm and one atm is .0821 not sure if this is right... i don't quite understand what to do with the volume for part b, i know i have to use avogadro's number since its asking per molecule but I am not sure how to apply it...could someone help me out

Physics news on Phys.org
trah22 said:
2. Homework Equations [/b]
Etrans=3/2nRT and etrans=3/2NkT, N=6.022x10^23 n=mass/molarmass,
R=.0821

In your equation N is *not* Avagadro's number. N is the number of Nitrogen molecules. You need to look up the density of Nitrogen gas and multiply that by the given volume to find the total mass of the gas. Then lookup the mass of a single molecule of Nitrogen and divide the total mass of the gas by the mass of a single molecule to find N.

Once you have N, multiply it by 3/2 then multiply it by "k" (Boltzman's Constant) then multiply it by the temperature in Kelvin. This will give you the total translational energy of the 5 liters of Nitrogen. Cheers

the density is 1.251 g/l so multiplying that by 5 gives 6.255 but i don't understand one thing, after u divide this mass by 14(molarmass of Nitrogen) don't u get the number of moles because n=m/M so wouldn't u then multiply that by avogadros number to get the total number of molecules?

could u also tell me the difference between find the total trslational kinetic energy of the gas molecules vs the average KE per molecule, i understand that Etrans=nKt gives total translational but i don't know what to apply to calculate the average KE per molecule

Last edited:
trah22 said:
the density is 1.251 g/l so multiplying that by 5 gives 6.255 but i don't understand one thing, after u divide this mass by 14(molarmass of Nitrogen) don't u get the number of moles because n=m/M so wouldn't u then multiply that by avogadros number to get the total number of molecules?

The mass of one mole of Nitrogen is 14 grams. That is not the same as the mass of one molecule of Nitrogen. The mass of one molecule of Nitrogen is 14/(6.02*10^23) grams.

So, yes, if you dived 6.255 grams by 14 grams you do get the number of *moles* and then multiplying by Avogadro's number gives the number of molecules.

That works, but that's not what I told you to do. If you do what I told you to do, which was to divide 6.255 grams by the mass of one nitrogen *molecule*, you will also get the same answer since
[tex]
N=\frac{6.255}{m_{\textrm{mole}}}N_{\textrm{avogadro}}=\frac{6.255}{14}N_{\textrm{avogadro}}=
\frac{6.255}{14/N_{\textrm{avogadro}}}=\frac{6.255}{m_{\textrm{molecule}}}
[/tex]

Regardless how you choose to break up the calculation. The next step is to take the above value of [tex]N[/tex] and multiply it by [tex]3kT/2[/tex]. Cheers.

alright thanks for clearing that up,

kb=1.38x10^-23
N=2.689x10^23

Etrans=3NkT/2
=3(2.689x10^23)(1.38x10^-23)(300K)/2
=1669.9J/K

this is the amount of total translational energy of the gas molecules, for part b of the question (finding the average kinetic energy per molecule) is correct equation (im looking at my notes) just 3kbT/2 without any N, but that doesn't quite make sense...

trah22 said:
alright thanks for clearing that up,

kb=1.38x10^-23
N=2.689x10^23

Etrans=3NkT/2
=3(2.689x10^23)(1.38x10^-23)(300K)/2
=1669.9J/K

this is the amount of total translational energy of the gas molecules, for part b of the question (finding the average kinetic energy per molecule) is correct equation (im looking at my notes) just 3kbT/2 without any N, but that doesn't quite make sense...

yeah, it does make sense. The total translational energy is
[tex]
\frac{3}{2}Nk_bT
[/tex]
which you just found. This is the *total* translational energy. I.e. the sum of the translational kinetic energies of all of the molecules.

The "average kinetic energy per molecule" is defined to mean "that quantity which, when multiplied by the total number of molecules, gives the total energy." It's just the total energy [tex]\frac{3}{2}Nk_bT[/tex] divided by the total number of molecules [tex]N[/tex]. In other words:
[tex]
\left(\frac{3}{2}Nk_bT\right)/N
[/tex]

But that *is* just [tex]\frac{3}{2}k_bT[/tex]

thanks for that great explanation man, u cleared it up completely for me:cool:

I'm glad that I helped. Cheers.

1. What is total translational energy?

Total translational energy refers to the sum of kinetic energy possessed by all the molecules or particles in a system, due to their motion in a particular direction.

2. How is total translational energy calculated?

Total translational energy is calculated by multiplying the mass of each particle by its velocity squared and then summing up these values for all the particles in the system.

3. What factors can affect total translational energy?

The temperature, pressure, and number of particles in a system can affect the total translational energy. Additionally, any external forces or collisions can also impact the total translational energy of a system.

4. How is total translational energy related to temperature?

According to the kinetic theory of gases, the average kinetic energy of particles in a system is directly proportional to the temperature. Therefore, an increase in temperature leads to an increase in total translational energy.

5. Why is total translational energy important in thermodynamics?

Total translational energy is an important concept in thermodynamics because it helps to understand and predict the behavior of gases and other systems. It is also used in various equations and calculations, such as the ideal gas law and the calculation of internal energy.