1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total variation of f on [0,1]

1. Aug 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]f_n, f: [0,1]\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex], and [itex]f_n(x)\rightarrow f(x)[/itex] for each [itex]x \in [0,1][/itex].

I need to show the following two things:
    a. [itex]T_0^1(f)\leq \lim\inf_{n\rightarrow \infty} T_0^1(f_n)[/itex], and

b. if each [itex]f_n[/itex] is absolutely continuous and [itex]T_0^1(f_n)\leq 1[/itex] for each [itex]n[/itex], then [itex]T_0^1(f) = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} T_0^1(f_n)[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

We denote [itex]T_0^1(f)[/itex] as the total variation of f on [itex][0,1][/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

a.
    If [itex]f_n[/itex] is not of bounded variation, then [itex]T_0^1(f_n)=\infty[/itex] and we're done.

So assume [itex]f_n[/itex] is of bounded variation. Then since [itex]f_n(x) \rightarrow f(x)[/itex] for each x, then for a partition [itex]0=t_0 < t_1 < ... < t_N= 1 [/itex],

[itex] |f_n(t_j)-f_n(t_{j-1})| \rightarrow |f(t_j)-f(t_{j-1})| [/itex].

So [itex] \sum_j|f_n(t_j)-f_n(t_{j-1})| \rightarrow \sum_j |f(t_j)-f(t_{j-1})| [/itex].
    Take the sup from both sides and so we have [itex]T_0^1(f_n)\rightarrow T_0^1(f)[/itex].

I would like to use Fatou's at some point but I would like some hints on how to change the idea of total variation into a sequence of nonnegative measurable functions....

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

fn are bounded. Let L be a lower bound for all n.

If L > 0, then all fn are positive.

If L < 0, then you can define gn = fn - L > 0.

If fn is (abs.) cont. then it is measurable (i.e. Borel).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  4. Aug 17, 2007 #3
    Definition of Total Variation: Let f(t) be complex-valued function defined on the interval [0,1]. Let [itex]P: 0=t_0 < t_1 < ... < t_N = 1 [/itex] be a partition of the unit interval. Then
    [itex]T_0^1(f) = \sup_{P} \:\sum_{i} |f(t_i)-f(t_i-1)| [/itex]
    where we take the supremum over all partitions of the unit interval.

Fatou's Lemma: Let [itex]\{f_n\}_n [/itex] be a sequence of nonnegative measurable functions on [0,1]. Assume [itex]f_n(x)\rightarrow f(x)[/itex] for almost all x. Then
    [itex]\int f \leq \lim\inf_{n\rightarrow \infty} \int f_n[/itex].

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?