1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Totally bounded sets

1. Mar 29, 2010 #1

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not really homework, but a textbook-style question...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is every subset of a totally bounded set (of a metric space) totally bounded?

2. Relevant equations

F is said to be totally bounded if, for every [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex], there's a finite subset [itex]F_0\subset F[/itex] such that [tex]F\subset\bigcup_{x\in F_0}B(x,\epsilon)[/tex], where [itex]B(x,\epsilon)[/itex] is the open ball of radius [itex]\epsilon[/itex] around x.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Suppose that [itex]E\subset F[/itex], and that F is totally bounded. Let [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex] be arbitrary. We know that there exists a finite set [itex]F_0\subset F[/itex] such that [tex]E\subset F\subset\bigcup_{x\in F_0}B(x,\epsilon)[/tex], but this doesn't seem to help, since [itex]F_0[/itex] doesn't have to be a subset of E. We might even have [itex]F_0\cap E=\emptyset[/itex]. So now I'm starting to think that maybe E doesn't have to be totally bounded at all. For example, if F is some open ball in [itex]\mathbb R^2[/itex] and E is some kind of fractal or something.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, a totally bounded subset of a totally bounded set is totally bounded. Most definitions are a bit looser than yours. But you can still prove it. Pick a finite set F0 to cover with balls of radius e/2. Can you use that to construct a finite set E0 that covers E with radius e?

4. Mar 29, 2010 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, I get it now. I'll just pick one point from each non-empty [itex]B(x,\epsilon/2)\cap E[/itex] with [itex]x\in F_0[/itex], and take those points to be my E0. Then I consider open balls around those points, and I need to take these balls to have twice the radius to ensure that they cover E (by covering the old balls that had non-empty intersection with E). Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook