1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Totally lost, buoyant force

1. Dec 18, 2011 #1
    1. A juniper wood plank measuring 7 ft by 0.5 ft by 0.1 ft is totally immersed in water. What is the net force acting on the plank? ()

2. a) F top = P top * A top(l x w) ; b) P bottom = P top + (Dw * h); c) F bottom = (F top) + (Dw*l*w*h); d) Fb = F bottom - F top e) Weight = Dw * l * w * h; f) F net = Fb – weight;

3. I believe the above equations are all I need to solve this problem and in that order. I believe my stumbling blocks are the units.

a. I converted the area from feet to inches and formulated F top to be 14.7 lb/in^2 * 504 in^2 leaving 7408.8 lbs of force (the in^2 cancels out, right?)

b. This is where I get lost. The Dw of Juniper wood is 35 lb/ft^3. Since the height is .1 feet, I don't have to convert, so I just multiply 35 lb/ft^3 * .1 ft leaving 3.5 lb/ft^2. This is where I am lost. I have 7408.8 lbs + 3.5 lb/ft^2. So I am left with 7412.3 lb/ft^2 which cant be right. In step a I had in^2 and canceled them out. Now what?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2011 #2
    Yeah, never mind. I was totally off on a tangent here with some crazy formula in my text. It is as simple as calculating the weight = Dw of the wood * V = 35 * .35 = 12.25lb. Then buoyant force = Dw of the water * V = 62.4 * .35 = 21.8lb. Fnet = Fb - W = 21.8 - 12.25 = 9.55 lb. Easy once it's laid out that way. Hope this helps someone else out there some day.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook