1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Totally tanked

1. May 21, 2008 #1
    Hello everybody.. my name is Rohan Prabhu and I am tanked. The results of the various entrance exams to colleges that i gave have started coming in.. and i have tanked like hell in all of them. Now there are two options in front of me: Either take whatever college I get.. whatever degree I get.. or take a drop for a year and study for that year and then try again at these exams.

The problem is that if I tank again.. then i'll be left nowhere as many exams allow me to appear only twice. plus.. i'd be wasting one year for nothing.

I have no idea what to do about this. Plus, i don't know if i have the.. you know.. 'problem solving ability' that these competitive exams might require. How do i know if i have it or not?

any help is appreciated..

regards,
    rohan

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2008 #2
    Are you going from high school to college or have you been out of high school for awhile? Start at a community college if you can't get into a named school, many of them aren't that bad. Many people say you're undergraduate school isn't all that important.

4. May 22, 2008 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Where do you live? In the US, it's far, far too late to be applying for colleges for 2008 admission. Acceptance letters went out months ago.

You say you tanked in "all" of your exams. I assume that "all" means at least 3 (two would be "both" and one would be singular). I think you have to seriously consider that these scores are telling you something real. One might be a fluke, and two could be a coincidence, but by three it's starting to sound like a habit.

Finally, at least in the US, you are much better off going somewhere - anywhere - your freshman year and then trying to transfer in than in taking a year off.

5. May 22, 2008 #4
    I have tanked in two exams till now.. but it looks like i'm gonna tank in a lot more to come. And no, it is not a fluke. I wasted my year of 12th doing nothing. Literally. I spent all of my time playing Counter Strike and Warcraft. I started studying in the last month or so.. and the results I got after studying for this one month.. were pretty good considering the single month i studied.

Also, I live in India.. the situation is a LOT different than in the U.S.. and i'm just moving from high school into college.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?