1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tough call, what would you do?

1. Dec 24, 2007 #1
    Okay, I had posted before about possibly pursing a degree in electrical engineering. However, I have a confession to make. My only reason for that, is that I would be able to attend school locally, and not have to pay high costs for room and board if I moved away.

However, if I could choose anything at all, I would much rather study something such as astronomy/planetary science. Now, I fully acknowledge that this degree probably isn't as "useful" in terms of finding actual employment, as is the engineering degree, but it's just where I feel my real interest lies.

Given the choice, would choose to save money and get a degree locally, but have it be in something other than your true interest, or would you rather study something you definitely have an interest in, but have to deal with moving away and paying much higher costs?

I mean, I'm starting late at age 24, and frankly the whole idea of living on a college campus makes me sick. Just looking for opinions, as I'm torn on what I should do.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2007 #2
    Get a degree in a field you LIKE and has good employment aspects. Use that money you earn to support your interests you LOVE. You can use the money you earn to get a telescope and some books on astronomy.

For the majority of the people out there, mixing hobbies/interests with work/jobs does not work. I love to play PC games, but hate making them. Myself, I don't like making careers and money out of my hobbies. The point of my hobby is to GET AWAY from working and release that stress.

4. Dec 25, 2007 #3

Great advice, thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?