How to Solve a Tough Concept Question: Rifle Aiming Experiment

• Thread starter zn23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concept
In summary, a rifle is used to shoot twice at a target, with the first shot aimed parallel to the ground at the center of the bull's eye. The bullet strikes the target at a distance of HA below the center. The second shot is aimed the same way, but from a distance 3.13 times greater than the first. The bullet strikes the target at a distance of HB below the center. The ratio of HB to HA can be found by using the equation x = 0.5*g*t^2 to find the distance the bullet dropped during its flight, and then finding the ratio of these two distances.
zn23
Tough Concept Question!

Homework Statement

A rifle is used to shoot twice at a target using identical cartridges. The first time, it is aimed parallel to the ground and directly at the center of the bull's eye. The bullet strikes the target at a distance of HA below the center, however. The second time, the rifle is similarly aimed, but from 3.13 times the distance from the target. This time the bullet strikes the target at a distance of HB below the center. Find the ratio HB/HA.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

this is a very tough question i have come upon, i tried maybe going 2 x 3.13 as the Hb and dividing it by 2 but it doesn't seem to work, anyone have any ideas??

Physics news on Phys.org

HA = 1/2gt^2

HB = 1/2gT^2

s = ut
3.13s = uT

T/t = 3.13

... and so on

^^^^^
could u perhaps clarify that?

mal4mac is demonstrating that the time the bullet from rifle 2 is traveling through the air is 3.13 times the amount of time the bullet from rifle 1 traveled through the air.
Now all you need to do is apply x = .5*g*t^2 to find the distance the bullet dropped iduring its flight.
All you need is a ratio, so:
x1 = .5*g*(t1^2)
x2 = .5*g*(t2^2)

or:

x2/x1 = t2^2 / t1^2
Since t2 is 3.13x greater than t1, plug this in and you have your ratio.

1. What is a "Tough Concept Question"?

A "Tough Concept Question" is a type of question that is challenging and requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills to answer. It often involves complex or abstract concepts that may be difficult to understand or explain.

2. Why are "Tough Concept Questions" important in science?

"Tough Concept Questions" are important in science because they help us to deepen our understanding and knowledge of complex concepts. By grappling with challenging questions, we are able to develop critical thinking skills and make new discoveries in the scientific field.

3. How can I improve my ability to answer "Tough Concept Questions"?

There are several ways to improve your ability to answer "Tough Concept Questions" in science. These include practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills, seeking help from experts or peers, and actively engaging in discussions and debates about challenging topics.

4. Can "Tough Concept Questions" be answered with one correct answer?

No, "Tough Concept Questions" often do not have one right answer. They may have multiple possible solutions or interpretations, and the process of arriving at an answer is often more important than the answer itself.

5. How can I incorporate "Tough Concept Questions" into my scientific research?

You can incorporate "Tough Concept Questions" into your scientific research by identifying areas of your research that are particularly complex or challenging, and formulating questions that will help you to better understand and explore those areas. You can also seek feedback and input from colleagues and experts to further refine your research questions.